This may seem strange...

ryan_gray

<p>... however I have just bought a Canon EOS 550d and I have absolutely no idea how to use it.<br>

As you may have guessed, I'm new here and new to the world of DLSR's. I'm a very keen photographer and wanted to make the step up from high-spec auto point and shoot to something altogether different.<br>

I'm hoping my 'kit' is up to the job, from what I've read, I think I have chosen wisely (the research took me months) now the fun begins...<br>

I guess my question therefore is: Where can I go to get an idiots guide to how I might go about unleashing the power packed potential of my new pride and joy?<br>

Can anyone help, either here or on PM or at the very least, point me in the direction of a resource that might finally get me taking snaps the way I always dreamed.<br>

Hope to hear from you all very soon...<br>

Thanks and regards,<br>

Sub<br>

p.s. Hope I’m in the right area of the forum here, if not, please re-direct me!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Where can I go to get an idiots guide</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There is a book "Canon EOS 550D for dummies" if that's what you want. Those books are cheap enough. Just Google on "idiot guide Canon EOS"</p>

<p>But I would read the user's manual first, then every time I got a question from it, search the net, PN, or come here and ask a specific question. The ultimate help is the camera itself. Practice with it</p>

<p>As John says, the first few pages of the owner's manual is a good place to start. I'm not sure how little you know, but start with charging the battery, installing a flash card, setting the camera on the green box mode and taking some pictures. Then after viewing the pictures on your computer, see where you want to go from there.</p>

<p>Indeed there's nothing wrong with using the green box mode and playing with the camera.</p>

<p>After that, or during that, read the manual. There are pointers on how to use the camera.</p>

<p>Then you'll start noticing the things you want to improve on your pictures and that's the moment to start asking questions.</p>

<p>Some of the improvements will be in how to use the camera and lenss, some in how to do post processing and finally someone will suggest you need better equipment.</p>

<p>Don't believe the latter right of the bat. Nine times out of ten your results can be improved upon without spending more money.</p>

<p>Getting to learn the gear you have, getting to learn Canon's Digital Photo Professional should be your first goals.</p>

<p>Have fun and shoot a lot,</p>

<p>Matthijs.</p>

<p>I'm with Matthijs, very sound advise.<br>

Not too long ago i was exactly where you are and feeling quite overwhelmed by my new camera. I admit i kept it on the green box for a while letting the camera decide whilst i worried about what to shoot.<br>

After a while though you really want to produce the stuff you see on forums like this and thats when you need to just play with each mode to see what it does. Just go take lots of pics and learn as you go, personally I'm not one for reading the manual ;-)<br>

Have fun<br>

Karen </p>

<p>Hi team...<br>

Thanks so much for your promt replies...<br>

With all due respect (and this is completely my fault as I should have explained myself more fully) I know how to charge the camera, insert the SD card etc, etc...<br>

I have already taken some stunning shots (although that may be more down to the excellence of the kit rather than me!) but now I want to go to the next level, such as shutter speeds, AP's, ISO's and such like... all new functionality to me as the point and shoot I had previously didn't afford me such levels of detail.<br>

I now want to go from casual photographer to dedicated user...<br>

I'm scouring the pages on the user manual, i'm trawling the net for tips and tricks and i'm learning more every day, I just wanted to know where I could go to learn more about my kit that the instruction manual doesn't teach you.<br>

I'll keep playing but any tips on where I my quence my thirst for knowledge would be very much appreciated.<br>

Thanks again,<br>

Sub</p>

<p>I'd refer you back to the user manual. Once you figure the manual's overall layout and reference the chapter's relating to "what you want to do," then the answers are usually there, or at least a good starting point.<br />Just reading the manual from the front cover to the back cover don't necessarily get it! When say the chapter on shutter speed references the chapter on exposure, then go read exposure and when the exposure chapter references the chapter on aperture then go study that one. All the while with the camera in hand and taking some experimental shots.<br />Alot of it will be "trial & error," otherwise, keep reading articles and web searching as other's have indicated.<br />One tip I'll provide that will probably help you the most, . . . turn off the Auto ISO if your experimenting with either aperture or shutter priority to learn exposure, and set it at maybe ISO 200.<br />Learn to take alot of shots and learn how to delete!<br />Welcome to PN! Have fun! And, Congratulations on your DSLR!</p>

<p>Learning to use your camera is a prerequisite to great images. But, don't forget the other aspects: lighting, composition, etc. </p>

<p>And knowing when and where to go to get the best shots. This requires research and dedication. Example: you are not likely to find the famous spot in the Tetons, Schwabacher’s Landing, by accident; you need to know where it is (research). And you need to get up way before sunrise to be there when the sun rises (dedication).</p>

<p>Another vote for starting with the green box setting (fully automatic) or at least the P setting. That will allow you to get used to the other controls more gradually, and still take useful pictures at the same time. Carry the manual with you -- it will be invaluable as you learn from it and the camera.<br>

Gradually play around with aperture-preferred settings (Av) and shutter [<strong>T</strong>ime]-preferred (Tv) settings to learn what different apertures and speeds do.</p>

<p>Get a good dummies-style book, too. Some of them are pretty good, although I don't know about the specific one you need.</p>

<p>Don't try to get everything all at once, and be patient with yourself. You have a great camera that will serve you well as you learn how to use it. These digital cameras have a lot of variables to get under control, again, not all at once.</p>