Need to disasemble 28mm AF-D ??

dave_wilson1

<p>Hello fellow Nikon enthusiasts, and I hope 2011 finds you all well. I am pretty well versed at taking apart the older Nikon lenses and removing the blades to clean and dry the oily blade syndrom. I have not yet pulled apart an AF lens, has anyone worked on their 28 or 24 f2.8 who could give me a few hints. Thanks as always, Dave</p>

<p>The mechanical systems are quite similar to the smaller AiS prime lenses, with the obvious addition of a ring gear and small drive shaft for the autofocus.</p>

<p>You will need to spin out the trim ring on the front of the lens (AF NIKKOR 28mm 1:2.8D). That will give you access to screws that, once removed, will allow you to remove the filter ring mount, and then the front group assembly.</p>

<p>You will need to remove the complete aperture assembly from the lens in order to clean it properly. You *might* be able extract it and reinstall it entirely from the front. Set the aperture ring to f/22 and lock it there so that the diaphragm blades are closed and the spring "relaxed".</p>

<p>If you need to remove the mount and gain access from the rear, because this is an AF-D lens you will need to remove the screws from the CPU contact block before lifting the mount. The focusing helicoid is secured with two L-shaped keys much like many smaller AiS primes. You will have the added complication of dealing with the distance encoding strip and the very tiny and fragile contact fingers. In this respect the non-D AF 28/2.8 is much simpler to disassemble, because the small CPU is secured directly to the mount and there is no ribbon cable or distance encoding fingers to deal with.</p>

<p>I should add that although I have done some disassembly on the AF 28/2.8, I have not worked on the 28/2.8D. But other than the distance encoding hardware, they should be nearly identical mechanically.</p>

<p>Other than the above hints, you're on you own. Good luck! ;)</p>