Nikon 17-55 & Tamron 18-200 vs Nikon 18-200

michael_scharf

<p>I am currently using a Nikon 18-200 VR lens for my work which is mostly Bar Mitzvahs. Knowing that this lens is not ideal for this type of work, I have been looking for a pro lens. I found someone who will sell me the Nikon 17-55 for only $650. Trying to keep costs down, I was thinking about selling off my Nikon 18-200 to help buy the 17-55 and buying the Tamron 18-200 to give me a full range lens. Is this a good trade off? In the future I will consider buying the 80-200 although I will be missing a critical range between 80 to 120. Any advice? Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>Can you explain what you mean when you write, "Knowing that this lens is not ideal for this type of work, ... "? My wife and I shoot bar and bat mitzvahs and use an 18-200 and a 17-55 during parties. We've never had a complaint about the images created by the 18-200, and in fact a lot of customers tell us they love the way we get such great close-ups.</p>

<p>That said, $650 is pretty good price for a 17-55 if it's in excellent condition, and it's a great lens. We rent a 70-200 f/2.8 when needed to cover ceremonies, but it's more for the aperture than anything else, since the 18-200 is not fixed aperture.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In the future I will consider buying the 80-200 although I will be missing a critical range between 80 to 120.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't get this - how would you be missing this range when you have a 80-200? If you have a 17-55 and a 80-200, you have a gap from 55-80 - which may or may not be an issue. <br>

I second the suggestion of a 55-200 VR made above - or get a use 70-210/4-5.6 D.</p>

<p>That is a very good price on the 17-55, so make sure everything is in good working order. I am not sure I would give up the Nikon 18-200 for the Tamron; if you are accustomed to the Nikon I would imagine the Tamron will be slower to focus, especially in low light. And the 18-200 is simply a very convenient lens. It stays on our D5000 90% of the time. I don't really use it at receptions, but if I had to I would simply set up a strobe bounce off a wall/ceiling metered around f/5.6.... the common aperture for the 18-200.</p>