7D vs. 5D Mark II...I know it's been done to death...but...

zvia_shever

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If after all these years of shooting weddings you haven't worked out that competent use of even a hotshoe mounted flash

can eliminate the vast majority of light, contrast and DR issues then maybe you should too. The only time I have been

unable to do anything about the light at weddings has been when flash has not been allowed inside the church during the

ceromony, in those instances, when peoples memories depend on a cameras high iso capabilities, I would hope the

photographer was using a FF camera, well my wedding photographer would be, unless he was Jeff Ascough, who does

amazing natural light work with the 1.3 crop 1D series cameras, but then they are built with high iso performance in mind

and his images surpass any noise present anyway .

Now where are those files Dave? Because for all your and Daniels lengthy comments and very strongly held opinions

neither of you can produce one single file you shot yourselves to show you have ever used a 5D MkII.

• 11 months later...

<p>What an interesting thread, plenty of debate.<br>

Very appropriate to me, have got back into more serious photography in the last year, purchased a Canon 7D with the 15-85 EFS lens and in the last 9 months have added a number of others to the collection, (50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8Lmacro, 400m 5.6L, 70-200MM LF4, better not tell the wife.)<br>

Interesting that alot of the debate in this thread related to image quality relating to the two bodies, yet lots of reference to zoom lenses. So how does a 7D with a nice prime compare to a 5DMKii fitted with a zoom. Some of the canon non L primes are of great quality (as well as 3rd party lenses)<br>

I love the 7D interface, the accurate and quick auto focus system, the wireless flash control, etc... I have the 400m L5.6 and on the 7D it makes a great birding lens with the additional reach appreciated.<br>

But I have been debating the question of adding a 5DMK ii to the collection believing that it may offer better image quality, ad probably a better selection of lens at the wide end. Based on reading other reports.<br>

Like everybody I have lots of electronic images which mean pixel peeping if you want, but I do like the printed medium, using a Canon 9000 printer so I can go to A3+. I use Lightroom to process my pics, it does enough for me. So far I am very pleased with the 7D. If I can frame the original pic well to minimise excessive cropping then the results look great.<br>

I would like to do more landscape work and I think full frame will come into its own, with a better selection of wide angle lenses to choose from.<br>

Do I still want a 5Dmkii?<br>

Probably, and I may even justify it if prices fall as the 5dmkiii is launched, if not I guess I will comprimise and get th EFS 10-22 zoom for the 7d, which gets better reports for image quality than the 17-40 L.<br>

Not sure I answered any questions but after an hour plus of reading I felt it only right tomoffer some opinion.<br>

Regards to all,<br>

Neil</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What an interesting thread, plenty of debate.<br>

Very appropriate to me, have got back into more serious photography in the last year, purchased a Canon 7D with the 15-85 EFS lens and in the last 9 months have added a number of others to the collection, (50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8Lmacro, 400m 5.6L, 70-200MM LF4, better not tell the wife.)<br>

Interesting that alot of the debate in this thread related to image quality relating to the two bodies, yet lots of reference to zoom lenses. So how does a 7D with a nice prime compare to a 5DMKii fitted with a zoom.  Some of the canon non L primes are of great quality (as well as 3rd party lenses)<br>

I love the 7D interface, the accurate and quick  auto focus system, the wireless flash control, etc... I have the 400m L5.6 and on the 7D it makes a great birding lens with the additional reach appreciated.<br>

But I have been debating the question of adding a 5DMK ii to the collection believing that it may offer better image quality, ad probably a better selection of lens at the wide end. Based on reading other reports.<br>

Like everybody I have lots of electronic images which mean pixel peeping if you want, but I do like the printed medium, using a Canon 9000 printer so I can go to A3+. I use Lightroom to process my pics, it does enough for me. So far I am very pleased with the 7D. If I can frame the original pic well to minimise excessive cropping then the results look great.<br>

I would like to do more landscape work and I think full frame will come into its own, with a better selection of wide angle lenses to choose from.<br>

Do I still want a 5Dmkii?<br>

Probably, and I may even justify it if prices fall as the 5dmkiii is launched, if not I guess I will comprimise and get th EFS 10-22 zoom for the 7d, which gets better reports for image quality than the 17-40 L.<br>

Not sure I answered any questions but after an hour plus of reading I felt it only right tomoffer some opinion.<br>

Regards to all,<br>

Neil<br>

<br>

</p>