Epson V600 or Plustek 7600i SE

<p>I haven't use either scanner, but I do own the v500 and used to have a Nikon coolscan.<br>

With the V500 I have made several 8x10 prints from 35mm files which turned out fine, they really look just as good as 8x10s I've made with files from Nikon Coolscans unless I get out a magnifying glass. But I doubt I'd be able to make prints that are much larger than that with the epson, you can only do so much with a flatbed. The Epson does require quite a bit of sharpening for 35mm prints, but I've found that the sharpening tools in lightroom do a really good job without introducing artifacts. I found that with lightroom I can get the scans from the epson to be just about as sharp as unsharpened scans from the coolscan, which I found to be good enough for small prints and the web, no one looks at images at %100 magnification anyway. <br>

However, if you want to get the best image quality the dedicated Plustek should be the way to go. It will be much slower than the epson since I think it can only scan one frame at a time, while batch scanning with the epson would go alot faster, but if you need the quality it might be worth it. <br>

I would imagine that either scanner would be fine with cross-processed film, however I will say that when I my Nikon coolscan always produced better color scans than the epson. I could get good color scans from the epson, but it took a lot more work to get the settings just right, while the Nikon usually produced good colors with only minor adjustments. I don't know how well the Plustek does, but it wouldn't surprise me if it would be better than the epson.<br>

I think it comes down to priorities. If you want the best scans, the Plustek should be your choice. I've never heard of a flatbed that can beat a dedicated scanner. That being said I'm probably the only person who has sold off his Coolscan because I found the epson to be superior for my needs. But I only make scans for the web and for small prints up to 8x10, and pretty much only use black and white film, and of course does medium format film as well. The coolscan was just too slow for me, and even though it produced superior scans than the epson I just found that it was overkill for me. </p>

<p>I recently bought an Epson V600 and have scanned slides and negatives in 35mm. I am surprised how well this scanner works. The dust removal and digital ICE do a nice job and are real time savers. I am getting scans that will inlarge to A4 (8"x11" approx.) very nicelywith all the resolution I need. The software is easy to learn and I am having good results as far as color, although I do most adjustments in post. I would recommend the V600 for your requirements. My attachment is from Velvia 50 and has been adjusted in Photoshop.</p><div>00Y0Wo-319621584.jpg.af9af9ce2b8ab58bfc4cafd6de9ad1a2.jpg</div>