epson rangefinder?...

steve deer

<p>hi all<br>

I'm desperate to get hold of a digital rangefinder. All the other pseudo small camera I have owned, just don't cut it for me! I won't pay Leica prices (even if I could afford to) does anyone know where we are with the epson rd rangefinder? I heard a forum rumour a while ago that there may be an rd-2 in the making. Or will there ever be a Voigtlander option?</p>

Travis, (who did the post on the Rolex watch here a few days ago) uses an Epson rd. He might have some

insight for you.

Otherwise, used M8's are pretty reasonable these days... But then you'd need a coded lens and filter if you're shooting wide angle color.

<p>Epson is still making the RD-1 the last time I looked. Only they are doing little or nothing to market it. The only place in my area (Osaka-Kobe) where I have seen them sold is in Yodobashi Camera, which is also where I picked up a spare battery after years of search. I do not think Epson is doing much in the form of after-care.<br>

It is a nice camera but I don't recommend getting one. I agree with Ray. Get an M8. Try Tamarkin. They are reliable. Yes, you will need filters if you are doing color. You can do your own coding. </p>

<p>A few years ago Zeiss was hinting around that they might bring out a digital RF. Don't hold your breath. </p>

<p>The RD-1 was discontined in 07 according to Wikipedia. I would think the RD-2 would have followed at that time if it was going to happen. I cannot think of another digital rangefinder but I don't keep up on everything. I imagine there is a market for a lower cost rangefinder but what do I know about what people will buy. Leica people are not likely to jump ship in big numbers for a sweatshop camera so it's hard to say who would buy it. I certainly do not know. However I still do not know why people quit shooting B/W film myself. Gadget mania has consumed the world I guess. Anyway look at the mirrorless camera's if you feel like it. No rangefinder but they are small and snap up a storm and all that.</p>

<p>Just did a quick search: fleebay has not a single RD-1, but Epson's Japanese <a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.epson.jp%2Fgoods%2FdrillDownCom%2FgoodsDetailAction.do%3FselectedModelId%3DSE-Camera%26selectedOptionId%3DH56618110%26selectedClassCd1%3D05000000%26selectedClassCd2%3D05010000%26classCdForList%3D05010000%26tabKbn%3D2%26landto%3D1">Website </a>sells the Epson RD-1xG (whatever that is) for ~ $3,600... availability low if Google translate is right....</p>

<p>So, yes, I'd agree with the M8 as the cheapest option. Coding of lenses is easy (but mostly not permanent) ... you'd probably pay ~ $2,000 for a decent used one....</p>

<p>Another thing. The covering of my RD-1s came unglued after a couple of years. It just stretched and popped out of its seams. I had to replaced by Camera Leather in Vermont.</p>

<p>The camera has given me no other problems over the years, save of a slightly misaligned rangefinder.</p>

<p>I still cannot recommend this camera because of the lousy after-service from Epson and the scarcity of things like batteries and hand grips. There is a hand grip available for the latest RD-1 but it is apparently not sold separately.</p>

<p>Get an M8. With all its problems, most of which should be ironed out, Leica is there to take care of it in relatively reasonable time.</p>

<p>I used an Rd-1s for several tears and was quite happy with it. I found it reasonably robust but not near Leica build standard. A weak spot is a rather fragile rangefinder alignment system but since they are based on the Cosina/Voigtlander Bessa cameras service for the mechanical parts is readily available. They come up for sale fairly frequently on rangefinderforum.com </p>

<p>epson is selling the rd1x, only in japan...brand new cameras, same technology...only real change is the lcd panel does not rotate now.<br>

epson also offers a cla, only in japan. you can contact japanexposures (dirk) to act as a broker, cost depends on what is done to the camera. i sent one of my rd1 bodies, it took over a month and cost less than $300 usd, including a new cover and eyepiece. works like new now.<br>

rd1 bodies can often be found for sale at rff.</p>

<p>As I recall the R-D1x also accepts bigger-capacity flashcards then the previous 2 versions.</p>

<p>I still use my R-D1 (upgraded firmware to R-D1s) a lot. Batteries really aren't a big problem. Be sure you get some with a capacity equal or bigger then the original Epson battery.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Steve, the epson rd-1 or s is hard to come by nowadays. You can try the rangefinder.com forum. I got mine locally from a direct seller. Quite a good camera minus the crop factor. But if are a fan of wide angles, it should be fine. I like everything about the rd1s. Good luck !</p>

<p>I've never even held the epson, let alone used one, but I never rated it- All I seemed to hear about it was it's varying/inaccurate rangefinder. I have seen some people here get nice things out of it tho. If you could, it would be well worth your while saving your pennies a bit longer and getting a used M8 (like Ray said). Voigtlander lenses can be had on ebay quite reasonably, and are exceptional also. And the files it produces (within its ideal parameters) are simply stunning, they can be heavily enlarged/photoshopped with little discernible loss of image quality. As for coding the lenses/using IR filters, unless you're shooting black fabric indoors in color, it's not really an issue - at any focal length (that's been my own experience, others may differ). A GREAT camera. Whatever you get Steve, I'll be looking forward to the pictures you make with it.</p>

<p>Alex,<br>

The RD1 uses a very common fuji battery - I don't have mine in front of me, but fuji used it in many cameras and they are in plentiful supply on ebay and other places for just a few dollars each. I think I bought my last batch for just $2 or $3 each.</p>

<p>Regarding the M8, I prefer the RD1 to the M8. I could never warm to using the filters on the M8. I never had any problem with the viewfinder, and felt that the camera captured the "spirit" of rangefinder shooting quite well. <br>

I had a lot of fun and took good images with mine.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I'm surprised by how many have remarked that the RD-1 batteries are hard to find. Just go to Amazon.com and do a search in Electronic & Photo for "R-D1 battery" and you will find numerous sellers. It's a standard camcorder battery. I bought a couple of fistfuls when my original Epson batteries started losing their ability to hold a charge. They are available and relatively inexpensive.</p>