Leica MP Build Quality & Reliability?

<p>I've been lusting over the new version of the Leica MP ever since it came out in 2003. I know it has taken some retro design features from the Leica M3, but is it really as well made as far as build quality and component materials as the M3? After searching the Internet, I have read some disparaging reports about the reliability of the Leica MP, and disconcerting descriptions of top plates coming loose along with knobs or levers during use. </p>

<p>Of course the internet is so vast than one can find almost whatever one seeks as far as a review. However, you don't ever read complaints about a well maintained Leica M3 having build quality or reliability problems. My impression, unsupported by research, had me believing over the years that the Leica MP was not only a return to retro styling, but also to vintage build quality and workmanship. </p>

<p>Some MP users actually report they have disgarded their Lieca MPs for the Leica M6 TTL which they find more robust and reliable.</p>

<p>What is your experience? </p>

<p>Say it ain't so! :-)</p>

<p>Robert, All I can say is I've used the M4-2's and P's, pretty heavily, and I believe they hold up as well as my M3 has (I've had my M3 since the early 80's, though I never used that body professionally). You can quibble over materials, but you can't quibble over performance. You would have no issues with quality or reliability. I believe the MP uses a brass top and bottom plate, but it is difficult to enhance the really robust M design with just materials... unless you're slinging a couple of bodies around on a battle field maybe.</p>

<p>I have never personally heard of this. I have two MPs, one with a .72 finder; the other, .58. Neither has let me down nor developed any problems. I have three M6s: two with .58 finders, one with .72. i sent the latter to DAG for the finder upgrade several years ago. As for my M2 and M3, the shutter speeds were off on the M3, so I sent it to Sherry for servicing. This wasn't owing to any design or manufacturing flaw, but only to the camera's being overdue for service. My M2 has never developed a problem, but after 40 years I thought I ought to get it cleaned and lubed--just on general principles.<br>

The M6 is a good and reliable workhorse; but it would be a stretch to say it's better than the MP!<br>

There are a lot of myths on the internet. It's not impossible for an MP to be defective, but it's not a frequent occurrence, either.</p>

<p>Michael,</p>

<p>I've shot with the Leica M3, M2, M4, and M6 with never a problem, discounting burning a hole in my M2 shutter curtain twice. I used the M3 and M2 professionally for a while.</p>

<p>My leica III is a maintenance hog, even though it looks cosmetically beautiful. I don't use it anymore for fear of expensive repairs. It was made in 1934. My Leica IIIg bodies have been solid performers except for a shutter curtain problem with one, which could be expected after such a long life.</p>

<p>Rob,</p>

<p>That's good news about your MP experience.</p>

<p>I have an MP, as well as several other Leicas (M3, IIB, M6, M7 etc), and they all seem very well built. The mechanical ones may need service if they have been sitting not shot for a long time. But overall I think all of them are well-built to an extent that it does not have any significance (other than academic) as to which is better made. They all work superbly well. If you like the retro look but want a meter and a newer camera, get the MP. Personally, I find the M7 the most useful since it has AE and shutter speeds in the viewfinder! Also, the electronic timing is more accurate than the mechanical versions. But of course, some people want the 100% mechanical version, so if that is the case, it is hard to argue against the MP. </p>

<p>I spoke lengthwise with a famous Leica repair shop and was told the MP inside is almost not different to an M6, that the promise of better quality is pure marketing fantasy. Are you thinking to a secondhand MP? Because when you wished one in 2003 it was US2350, now the same exactly camera is new US4995!!!</p>

<p>I bought an early model when the MP was introduced, and it's still going strong. It developed minor problems (the dusty eyepiece that plagued early models, a frame counter that wouldn't always reset, and a low-battery indicator that lights up in cold weather, even when I've just inserted a fresh batt), but all but the latter were taken care of in a CLA last year, about five years after I bought it. It's a very robust camera, and I especially like the old-school film rewind knob. The tilted rewind knobs on my M6s still come loose on occasion.</p>

<p>L,</p>

<p>I know the price has skyrocketed for new Leica MP bodies. That's why I would want to be absolutely confident in the build quality of the camera before I ever purchase one. I like the idea of supporting Leica, but I insist upon actual value for my expenditure.</p>

<p>I fear Leica has begun operating and pricing like a haute couture fashion house, and what we are paying for is a name. I'm looking for Leica M3 build quality, but it's not clear to me that I would find it in a Leica MP.</p>

<p>One well respected Leica repair person, who wishes to remain anonymous, has just given me their opinion that the Leica MP is not worth the price. I think that unless I find a nice used one, reasonably priced, I'll controll my lust for the Leica MP.</p>

<p>You know, you can always get an M6 and have DAG or Sherry install the finder upgrade to reduce flare. I did this, and while he was at it, I had DAG change the winding lever to the MP type. With those two changes, it's more like my MP than not, functionally. All that's lacking is the old-style rewind. That, too, can be changed, but not at a price that would make it worth it. You have to come up with top plate that supports the pull-up rewind (such as an M4 top plate). Then DAG can supply the pull-up type mechanism.</p>

<p>Of course,you still wouldn't have that classy gloss black paint. But I kind of like the flat black chrome. It looks very businesslike. </p>

<p>From an economic point of view, I think the M6 + upgrade makes sense. I wouldn't have bought my two MPs if the prices had not been right.</p>

<p>My Leica camera history has been one M6TTL, two M7 bodies, and now two MP bodies, one of them an MP3. I have not had any issues with any of them but I replaced the M7s with MPs so I could have a simple mechanical camera which I prefer. My MPs have been utterly reliable and a pleasure to use, and I won't be needing to buy any more Leicas!</p>

<p>Despite what your repair person said, the price is just a reflection of the current economic reality. I bought both my MPs used at reasonable (for the time) prices and I don't think they're going to go down in price at the moment; owners are keeping and Leica is producing them in very small batches. The cost of an MP has not risen as much as the cost of some Leica lenses so there is room for further increase I think.</p>

<p>Robert<br>

I have a 2003 MP,in chrome, i bought it used and saved a considerable amount of money an it is like new.<br>

I plan on buying one in black paint, and may even buy it new, just because the black paint is very easily marked and i want it to be perfect.<br>

But my answer to your question is definately buy one, new or used, the price really has little to do with the build quality, all we know is it is built better than an M6, with cnc machined brass upper and lower plates and brass gears for smoothness,and better finder, is this worth the extra money you ask?, not really, but either is an expensive car over a cheap one, the fact is, it is the best you can buy at this time, and if you want the best, then buy it, it gives you a good feeling that you bought Leica's current best made film camera.<br>

I have an m6 also that i use more often just to minimize the wear and tear on my prized MP.<br>

So it is more about knowing you have the best than the value based on the sum of its parts.<br>

I pay no mind to the occasional failure you read on the internet, i think they are few and far between, if it scares you just by it new and Leica warranty will take care of any issues.<br>

I also have 3 M3's, and see/feel no difference between them and my MP, the MP feels and looks and operates just as nice, ofcouse with a convenient light meter.<br>

The finder is just as bright and nice also.<br>

So, just buy one, i know you want it, you've been lusting for 8 years now, you deserve it!</p>

<p>Ray</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Germany went through a sea change in the last 10 years. Companies can now operate with much more freedom than before. They can now at least get rid of non-performers, although still not easily.<br>

When the MP came out in 2003, it was made by a straitjacketed German company, like all other Germany companies. So it is almost a miracle that they managed it at all. So there were bound to be infrequent quality issues.<br>

The German government has since made tremendous changes and German companies have become leaner and more nimble.<br>

So what am I saying? It probably pays to buy the later MP's, or a brand new one. This also accounts for the rather wide variance in quality reported in these threads.</p>