D3s or 200mm f2

akshun

<p>To your direct question: I don't think so. Thus, I have a long career in large-format shooting, mainly for landscapes. While all of the larger formats (I shot 6x9 cm, 4x5", 6x12 cm, and 8x10") gave excellent image quality, there is [much] more to a photograph than sharpness alone. So extended depth-of-field was easy, but really limited depth-of-field was not, and this plus the awkwardness of the handling of the gear (relatively speaking, a slow and contemplative pace can be beneficial , but sometimes you need to act fast) influenced how the shots finally appeared.</p>

<p>I agree that film-based "35 mm" is marginal for landscapes if shorter lenses are used and the utmost technical perfection is sought (caveat as above with regard to perfection). With the best of the FX DSLRs, image quality improves markedly compared to film, but still good rendition of detail necessitates a longer lens; which in fact is one out of many reasons for me to prefer a 200 instead of a 24 for this kind of photography. I use mostly 85 to 200 for landscapes, sometimes much longer.</p>

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>One more thing to add. When I seriously test and compare lenses I do it with Velvia 50. My D2X and Kodak SLRn cannot resolve well enough to really show just how much better the 200/2 is over other lenses. Yes, I can still see marked improvement over other lenses with the digital images but Velvia differentiates it to a much greater extent. The D3S would not provide significantly greater resolution at base ISO than the D2X, SLRn, or D700. What I am trying to get at here, is that if you do chose the 200/2, you will truly be amazed in the future when you can pair it up with a D3X, "D800" or "D4". It will come into its own with a 24+ MP full frame or 18+ MP crop body.</p>

<p>Steven, ou could call Vistek downtown or Henry's downtown and see if they have some of these mega lenses there for you to try. I have shot sample test images in there stores before with my<br>

</p>

<p>I know I am coming late to this discussion but I wanted to chime in with three quick things:</p>

<p>(1) Bjorn, that image is stunning! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.</p>

<p>(2) I've rented the Nikkor 200mm f/2 before, and found it absolutely stunning. Images with it have this very difficult to describe quality, with bokeh even more exceptional than my Noct-Nikkor, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-D, or Olympus OM-Zuiko 50mm f/1.2.</p>

<p>(3) Unfortunately, I've also found it stunningly large and heavy. The lens hood is a must, as the large front element did flare when I tried removing it (admittedly in a dance theater with strong lights around the periphery), but that serves also to make the lens even longer, wider, and heavier. I fatigued quickly from holding it while shooting (a monopod was not an option for me) and also from carrying it around with me. Your mileage may vary, but I would strongly recommend renting one before buying!</p>

<p>Velvia 50 is no match for a D3S or D3X. It's a myth that film was sharper.</p>

<p>I do all my testing on the D3X these days. It is easy to see the improvement from 200/2 Mk.1 to Mk.2 with this combination. Also the weakness caused by the poor tripod mount, which is really bad on Mk.1 and fortunately better on the Mk.2.</p>

<p>Ok, so John, i went to Vistek, they are preparing a quote for me as we speak.<br>

I tried on the 200-400mm as they didnt have any 200mm in stock.<br>

Even to rent, they said they didnt have any in at any of the stores.<br>

I will be using this lens on a D700 and i have seen some amazing examples from other users on the net. '<br>

I am definitely going with the 200mm f2 Vr1, and i was actually thinking about picking up another D700 as a back-up, rather than wait for the next "great thing" to come along as i will be using it with a small studio lighting kit and always on tri-pod.<br>

the D3x is really sweet, and perhaps , one day i will decide to get one for some serious landscape work, but for now, id say the D700 is the best bang for the buck.(IMO)</p>