need help! shutter lag problem.

sina_khorsand

<p>Hello<br>

I have owned my RB67 Pro S for some time now. Recently, it has been acting a little funny on me.<br>

Usually, after I depress the trigger, the shutter releases instantaneously. Now, there is some lag. It is not associated with the lens, but with the mirror. The mirror flap now has a delay that ranges between 1/4 to 1 second, and after the mirror flaps up the shutter instantly releases like it should. So something is causing the mirror flap up to lag.<br>

When I take the back of the RB, the lag vanishes. It seems to be in perfect working order. But when I put the back back on, the lag comes back. Most of the time, there is 1/2 second lag, sometimes a 1 second lag, and sometimes absolutely no lag with the back on. <br>

Has anyone ever encountered this problem?<br>

Any help would be appreciated.<br>

Thank You,<br>

Sina.</p>

<p>That is new one. The back has nothing to do with the mirror movement. Perhaps the delay is someting wrong with the interlocks? <br /><br />Is this a motized back we are talking about? <br /><br />Check to see that the pins are moving freely<br /><br />Check the sliding latches of the back. They activate the 2 small tabs on the right side of the rev back, they should move with a snappy spring action. <br /><br />Another place to look is the register pins of the rev back, are they interfacing properly with the body. <br /><br />Is the rev back rotaing smoothly and locking in place properly? <br /><br />Are your seals OK?<br />With the lens off, looking inside the camera as you shoot with the back on, the lag is going on, what is happening in there? Can you see anything hanging it up?</p>

<p> </p>

The more you say, the less people listen.

<p>I have something a bit like this but on a different camera; it's a Canon A1 (so apologies if this isn't helpful). I get a short delay before the shutter releases; if the camera has sat unused for a while the delay can be up to half a second, but in a series of exposures close together, only the first one is usually affected. Once the shutter goes, the exposure time seems to be correct.<br>

Reading around, I got the impression it's to do with the solenoids that release the shutter. The one that releases the first blind can get sticky for some reason, which is most likely to be tiny bits of ferrous stuff attached to it. It should be cleanable if that's what it is (Tomosy's book 1 describes this as very easy on a Canon AE1, involving pulling the bits off the surface of the magnet with sticky tape) but I haven't found it enough of a problem to open my camera up, let alone spend money on it.</p>

<p>A lag of a 1/4 sec or more; that long is much too much. The normal lag you are talking about is just long enough to get the mirror up n out of the way, his is stalling from the way he describes it. What makes this unique is that it only happens with the back on... which I have never seen n will take some investigating before making any jugements. <br /><br />Are sure this is an RB not an RZ? Mechanical vs electronics makes a big difference too.</p>

<p>Yes a CLA may be what it needs but then again it just may be a simple squirt of some juice and it's done.</p>

<p>Im using a 645 back. Its not motorized, and completely mechanical. <br>

When I take the lens off, and look inside the camera with the back on, there is still noticeable lag. I see now that the mirror flap is composed of two separate pieces.. Theres the mirror portion, and then the black flap right under the mirrror. When I release the shutter, the mirror goes up instantly, but its the black flap right under the mirror that is delayed. Sometimes it flaps up with the mirror instantly, and sometimes it takes up to half a second before flapping up after the mirror has been up. <br>

So if I just take the back off, and leave the revolving part on, the lag is fixed. The black flap and the mirror both flip up like they should. But putting the back on makes the lag inconsistent again. <br>

The back seems to rotate smoothly, and the back seems to be locking on right.<br>

The strange thing is that sometimes, even with the back on, the lag isn't prominent. Its very inconsistent. Is there any kind of lubing I can do to the rev back or the springs to make it function smoother?</p>

<p>Update:<br>

I took a look at the sliding latches on the back. I noticed how they activated the 2 small tabs on the right of the rev back. When i move the tabs up and down with my finger, they don't feel as smooth or as springy as they should be. Could this be the cause of the mirror flap lag? Is there a way to restore the snappy spring action of the 2 metal tabs on the rev back?<br>

Thanks guys for all your help. Much appreciated. </p>

<p>Make a close inspection of the tabs n see what is hanging em up? If it's rusted you'll have to open her up, perhaps the best way to do this job anyway. But maybe a tiny dot of WD40 will lossen em up as you exsersice em to work in the oil. <br /><br />To split the plate of the rev back, rotate the plates halfway and you'll notice the 2 screws at eash spring n clip tht hold the plates together. Number them 1-4, both on the plate and the spring so they go back exctly as they came out. Remove the 2 screws at each and lay out the parts as they come out.<br /><br />Clean the surfaces adn lubne it with a light smear of white lithium grease. Lube the tabs n be sure they are now working smoothly and check all the parts inside for corrosion n clean em up nicely. Put it all back together n you will have a brand new rev back once again n your mirror problem shoould be gone. If not, we'll just have to move on n find the next logical cause.<br>

BTW are the 2 pins in the chrome tits moving freely?</p>

<p> </p>