Photo Safari to Southern Utah

bill_ashley2

<p>I'm leading a photo safari in early April for a half-dozen members of our photo club. We're visiting several locations in southern Utah, including Lake Powell (Glen Canyon area), as well as Zion and Bryce Canyon national parks.<br />We're flying in to Flagstaff and renting Jeeps, driving first to Page, UT.<br />I have several questions for those of you who've been to these areas:<br /><br />1. Are there specific areas within these three locations we will want to visit? I know about Antelope Canyon, which is on our list, but are there other photogenic places we will definitely want to see?<br />2. Is there (still) a boat that takes visitors from Wahweap Marina to the Rainbow Bridge?<br />3. If we rent Jeeps, will we be able to do much off-roading into the wilderness areas?<br />4. When we're in the Page area, will we be near some spectacular places at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon....or are those not near where we'll be?<br />5. Should we expect motels to be full in the places we will visit in early April?<br /><br />Any other comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!<br />Thanks.</p>

<p>Bill, I would wow them with a trip thru Sunset Crater and Wupatki to start the trip. Both monuments are just north of Flagstaff. The ruins at Wupatki can make some stunning photos if the sky is right.<br>

Page is about as close to the South rim as to the North rim. I don't think the North rim will be open in April but that depends on the weather and how much snow they get this winter.<br>

You don't want to go off-roading in a Wilderness Area. Try to be very mindful of the fragile nature of the desert. You didn't mention where you are flying in from but the desert environment, because of lack of rain and vegetation, is extremely susceptible to damage from vehicles and foot traffic. Google cryptobiotic soil for more info. Otherwise, photogs like me will be shooting your tire tracks and footprints for decades to come. Thanks.<br>

Motels should be available since school isn't out.<br>

Make sure you check the water level in Zion and, if low, try to hike the "Narrows" trail. Also, there is a trail with spectacular views of the canyon that starts at a parking area just above the Tunnel.</p>

<p>I suggest you buy a Rand McNally US Atlas and look at all the national parks, national monuments, and state parks in the area as well as any other points of interest marked in red. While at the book store buy a book or two about the area. Most of the "Bryce and Zion" books also cover the other sites in the area.</p>

<p>Horseshoe Bend (google it) is about 5 miles south of Page. Be sure to see it.</p>

<p>The north rim of the Grand Canyon is usually closed until around Memorial Day (May 31) The south rim is open year round.</p>

<p>Do you want to go off road or on dirt roads? Cottonwood Canyon Road is a dirt road through Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument is nearby. There are arches and slot canyons plus beautiful scenery. You can enter from the south and the north exit is Kodachrome Basin State Park which is very close to Bryce Canyon. </p>

<p>Moab, Utah bills itself as the offroad capital of the world but it is kind of far away in east central Utah.</p>

<p>The Wave formation in the Vermillion Cliffs is also nearby but entry is limited per day using a lottery system. </p>

<p>Bill,<br>

You are actually going to Page at a great time. The sun is still low enough that the light shafts have begun at both upper and lower Antelope. You can shoot the lower about 10-10:30 and drive across the road for the upper at noon. <br>

It is not monsoon season but do pay attention to the weather reports for rain.<br>

Rain will also make the dirt very slick, even for Jeeps.<br>

You might try Allstrom Point for a sunset, as well as Horseshoe Point. Allstrom is out of Big Water and back east. Ask for directions, it can be a tricky drive 2 hour.<br>

There are also the Hoodoos out of Cottonwood Canyon, another 1/2 day adventure but a great jeep drive. Ask for directions.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Although Page is near the AZ-UT border, it is located in AZ, not UT. That said, it is an excellent jumping off point to: Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands,Grand Canyon (both rims), Monument Valley, Arches NP etc.</p>

<p>The area around Moab (Canyonlands NP) has the greatest opportunity for off road exploring. There are hundreds of miles of trails (dirt roads), that will bring you into some serious wilderness areas. Maps and guide books are available locally.</p>

<p>The "season" corresponds to when schools are closed for summer vacation. So prior to Memorial day, most motels and the parks are relatively quiet.</p>

<p>I have rented a speed boat and driven it to Rainbow Bridge's trail head, and I'm quite sure there are tourist boats that haul you out there. That's one for Google. And absolutely don't miss Horseshoe bend. It is a spectacular deep canyon along the Colorado, and is just outside of Page. It is about a mile walk from the highway as I recall, but worth it at sunset or sunrise.</p>

<p>Another yet unmentioned area that requires high clearance 4WD to access is the White Pocket area east of Coyote Buttes. If you feel you will enjoy off road, the White Pocket excursion will give you a legal taste and some fantastic photo ops. The geology is similar to that of the Coyote Buttes but no permit is required, just the know how to drive in deep sand. I would suggest you pick up copies of Laurent Martres' books, PHOTOGRAPHING THE SOUTHWEST, both the AZ and UT editions.</p><div>00Y0C5-319331584.thumb.jpg.3774ce3d20fc3e5c89c285d004887f59.jpg</div>