FE2 Rewind crank explodes, back door locked with film inside...Help!

orourke

<p>Hello,<br>

Half way through a roll of color film I tried to rewind it back into the case to change to black and white. When the "pressure" released I pulled up on the crank and popped the back open only to find the film still wrapped around the take up spool. I closed the back and tried to continue to rewind when the rewind crank fell off along with the clip, a washer, and a spring. The sleeve with the indent that surrounds the stem also fell out and the stem that protrudes down into the film compartment is stuck in the up position. Trying to raise it to release the back door latch have been fruitless and it will not depress back into the body. It will only turn about 1/5 of a turn and will not engage the film cartridge to even rewind. I really don't care about the roll of film but I would like to be able to open the back without damage. Any ideas ? Thanks.......</p>

<p><a href="http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/11246/NIKON_nikon%20fe.html">www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/11246/NIKON_nikon%20fe.html</a> I looked up a diagram, this is the link, not sure if it will work. You might have to reach a long bent/hook-end make shift rod like out of a bobby pin/long paper clip or other to grab the latch on the door and open it from down through the rewind hole. Enjoy Yep the link works, just scroll down their page and download the file</p>

<p>Thank you Dave. I did browse the forums and googled some fixes before I posted here. My dilema is that the inside stem of the rewind crank is stuck up so there is little or no hole to speak of to try and fish a tool down in there (just the thickness of the outer sleeve) To complicate matters, it is up so high the fitting that engages the film cartridge seems to be topped out. I'm almost thinking about blocking the bottom of the camera and attaching a screw clamp to the top of the stem to crush the film cartridge down. Possibly I could get the stem to drop out of the way so I could then poke around for the latch. Or.........I could just send the thing into the shop. What could possibly go wrong?</p>

<p>OK. Don't panic! The rewind knob is actually only threaded (screwed) onto the top of the shaft that goes into the film cartridge. The usual reason for it coming adrift is winding it the wrong way - you should only ever turn the rewind knob clockwise looking down on it.</p>

<p>If the knob does unscrew there's usually enough of the threaded shaft poking up to get hold of with your finger nails and lift up. If you can't do it that way then some needle-nose pliers are needed, being careful not to damage the thread on the top of the shaft while prising it up. Usually, once the shaft is lifted it will click into place and the knob can be rescrewed onto it - turning clockwise and remembering to refit the washers that came off.</p>

<p>That's the normal case described above, but it sounds like the latch release has come completely out. That's the indented sleeve that you described Bill. Try to refit that and ease it gently back down over the rewind shaft to release the back. It's doubtful you'll reach the release by poking around with a pin or bit of bent wire since the cassette and rewind shaft will be in the way, and all you'll do is scratch things and cause further damage!</p>

<p>You may have to sacrifice the film in this case. I hope there was nothing too important on the reel.</p>

<p>Thank you Joe. Yes, there is something else going on here. I had no problem re-inserting the outer sleeve and screwing the rewind knob back on. In fact, I've tried pulling up on the rewind knob after rethreading it back on with, and without the sleeve, hoping that the extra angle and slop afforded without the sleeve may help to free the lower assembly from whatever it is balled up in. I've given my "crush the cartridge" approach some thought and have decided instead to send it in to the guys that get paid the big bucks since the camera, for the most part, is pristine and I'd like to see it stay that way. Although it has performed flawlessly up to this point it's probably a good time to have them go through it and replace the seals and bumper and give it a thourough once over anyway. Thanks again for the response though, I appreciate it.</p>