What modern flash for Rolleiflex MX-EVS?

<p>Hi,<br>

I just inherited a Rollei MX-EVS Type 1 with the original Rolleiflash Unit. Before I go out and spend a ton of money on flash bulbs I'd like to ask if anyone here has used a more modern flash unit with theirs.<br>

I will, of course study up on the Flash Bulb method to go totally "Old School" but if I can get a Thrystor flash to use for now I would be thrilled.<br>

Any suggestions, or should I totally avoid this?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Gus</p>

<p>The "X" in "MX" means that it will do X-sync (electronic flash). The "M" means that will do M-sync (medium delay flashbulbs). So any electronic flash that can connect to the PC flash contact on the shutter will work. You'll need some sort of bracket or handgrip to mount the flash on.<br>

There's a lever below the shutter to select M or X sync, set it on X.<br>

You can use fixed-output flash or thyristor flash, you choice. You can use any shutter speed.<br>

EVS means it can use Exposure Value System, a method by which one number represents the "net exposure" to the film. (For people who can't figure out f-stops and shutter speeds.)</p>

<p>If you use a lightweight flash, you can unscrew the head from the Rolleiflash, epoxy an accessory shoe to an 8mm nut, and use the bracket that mounts on the taking lens. It's a lot easier to access the focusing knob this way.</p>

<p>I used to have one of these. Great camera! You can use any flash that offers manual operation, and you can also use automatic flashes (not the through the lens mode which is integrated with the camera, but just plain automatic that does not communicate with the camera). Any modern flash will work fine as long as it has manual and/or auto modes, and you can connect it to the PC socket.</p>

<p>Some modern flashes, usually the less expensive models, may not have an on-flash scale or display that gives you the aperture to use with what ISO and distance when used in Manual mode. You can still use the flash, of course, but with the inconvenience of carrying a little card or something with that info on it.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. I do have a couple of flashes that will work. I was only concerned that I might screw up the wires in the camera. The Rollei- flash that goes to the camera takes a 22.5v battery I think. But that is for flash bulbs.<br>

Take care everyone!</p>