I want to increase my knowledge of art and photography.

GBarrington

<p>As I get older, I realize what I want to do is to learn more about the things I never gave myself permission to learn before. A big part of this will be art and photography. I want to improve my knowledge of art in general and my skills as a photographer.<br>

I've begun to think about how I will go about this. Books? Return to University? Online courses? Seminars? I tend to be an undisciplined learner, so just picking this sort of thing up from reading seems unlikely for me. I think structure would be good for me. I'm not interested in the 'business' of photography, nor am I interested photo journalism. Just the art, my technical skills, and my ability to see, think, and react to art and the world around me.<br>

I'd like to hear from those who have participated in college courses, online/remote study, and seminars on their experiences and what they got out of them. If you have experience you'd like to share good or bad, I'd like to hear about them. What would you have done differently? What has pleased you the most?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Art: visit art museums. Take a self guided tour or even better a tour with a good docent.</p>

<p>Photography: Buy the Time-Life photography set of books. They have a lot of good sections on the history and styles of photography. The books have been out of print for a long time but you can find the set for about $25 used. [Edit: I got my entire set for $25 and have seen other sets for $25, but they are going for a lot more on ebay right now. Some are obsolete, so if you buy them individually you can skip those]</p>

<p>A course in drawing. Cameras paint with light, but mostly in an uncontrolled manner. Drawing teaches your brain see the light, interpret the light and use a pencil to put it on paper. It's far more difficult than aiming a digital P&S at a flower and pushing a button. But after some training you will see the light in a different manner and know where to hold that little camera so it sees the right light. :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm in exactly the same boat, but already in college for engineering. So each semester I take 12 credits of engineering (full-time), and then add a single elective for fun. So for my electives have been geology, fundamentals of drawing, color photography I, and acting. This summer I hope to take Life Drawing, and Fall 2011 I'd like to take sculpture. The ROI for me will be in photography (my hobby, for now), and engineering (my vocation, for now, unless the economy stays in the doldrums).</p>

<p>Seconded on the drawing class. I just completed a college "Fundamentals of Drawing" in the Fall 2010 semester, at the college where I'm taking engineering courses. Having a background in drafting and photography, it was excellent. Pencil drawing on paper is so similar to b/w photography... they even use the same terms, such as tones and density.</p>

<p>Also, a local college will probably have film courses. Mine has b/w I and b/w II, Color Photography I - all film based, before moving to Digital Photography I. I was able to get the b/w course requirements waived, by meeting with the head of the department and showing a portfolio of my work.</p>

<p>Also, many film-camera books are going for very little now in used bookstores, since it's assumed they have no value. But in fact, if you're using digital, only the parts of the books talking about film have lost relevance. 80% of what is in a "Joy of Photography" book from the 1990s, is relevant to digital-based equipment. Composition, lighting, capturing the moment. Those things haven't changed since the begining of photography.</p>

<p>Apart from this site, which is my primary go-to photog learning place, here is another idea you can try...Check out Craig Tanner's site, The Mindful Eye, specifically, his section called <em>The Daily Critique</em>. You have to sign up (it is free), but these 9 minute videos have really helped me learn a lot about art, composition, color, light, vocabulary, some PhotoShop techniques, etc. I like his approach: first, he talks about what he likes about a particular image (in art terms/vocabulary), then he talks about and shows you how he might possibly modify it to make it better. His approach is very positive, artistic and educational. This, of course, would only be one small element in your educational program but, IMHO, very worthwhile. Have fun...I am trying to do much the same as you and am having a great time! </p>

<p>My two favorite "structured" ways of learning are workshops and "apprenticeships". I'm surprised no one mentioned the later.</p>

<p>Workshops, I keep an eye out for ones on subjects that I'm interested in. Sometimes I travel, like the workshop on platinum printing. Other times, I can stay close to home, because south east Michigan is home to some of the best workshops in the country. Aside from Midwest Photography Workshops, there's the PPA affiliate workshops, and several local photographers have them. And some pretty good adult evening classes at a few of the universities and colleges, dealing with some pretty esoteric areas of photography.</p>

<p>Workshops taught by other photographers are fun, because we cross pollinate. I've had photographers in a product workshop that I teach, and a few months later, I'm taking a fashion workshop from the same people who were my students for product or macro.</p>

<p>Apprenticeships are an interesting concept. Or maybe "assisting" is a bit better term. You'd be amazed how easy it is to talk someone into showing you something interesting, in exchange for a bit of shift and carry duty. I learned a lot about weddings that way, and I've had people in and out of here to help with product shoots.</p>

<p> Thanks for the responses, guys. </p>

<p> I can see my initial post was too broad in my request for opinions and experiences. I see now that what I had hoped for was a discussion on the merits of getting an MFA from a 'good' school as opposed to just taking the occasional class in a local university. My apologies for leading you guys down the wrong path, but your responses did help to clarify my thinking.</p>

<p> At one point in my life, I was a professional photographer. I loved the IDEA of being a pro, I just hated the PRACTICE of being a pro. After about 3 years, I saw the light and went into the computer business. 30 years later, IBM and Microsoft have been very good to me, and I can see myself having the time to pursue interests other than making a living in the not too distant future.</p>

<p> After thinking about it, I'm not sure apprenticeships and workshops would be right for me as a major part of my . . .what would you call it? Personal Journey? Apprenticeship to a professional would be great for learning the business, but I have no interest in the business of photography, just the art. Now I could see, and do plan on, taking an occasional workshop aimed at a specific skillset, but are there workshops aimed at the artistic side of life?</p>

<p> So how about it, are there any benefits to an MFA if you don't plan on teaching or being an academic? Is there any benefit to taking the extra time and spending the extra money in NOT pursuing an MFA but auditing classes at a 'good' school, as opposed to whatever local university you happen to be near? I've got another 25 to 35 year on my meter (and I don't plan on going then if I don't have to!). So, any advice, opinions, or experiences, you may have to share would be very helpful to me.</p>

<p>IMO pursuit of an MFA would be fun, mostly for the buzz from other students, but also because it would drag one kicking and screaming away from one's pre-existing orientations. Workshops appear to focus on enhancing pre-existing orientations. Maybe you like to photograph ducks. The MFA might require study of drawing, color theory, sculptural techniques, as well as photography and video, and might not enhance duck photography.<br>

I've noticed MFA in most biographies that are posted in good (vs tourist) galleries. Workshops have a lot to offer, but they don't serve much of a purpose in a bio since they are known to cater mostly to hobbiests...whereas an MFA program caters to someone developing an arts career, early or late in life. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I can recommended Art Wolfe's Art of Composition class. He was a painter first (got his degree in fine arts, painting from the University of WA) and has a great lecture on drawing inspiration from painters over the years in his photography. Very unique and very well done. And if you can afford them (I can't) I hear his tours are outstanding! <a href="http://www.artwolfe.com">www.artwolfe.com</a> </p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Hi Glen,<br>

Oh how I envy you! To be able to go back to school and study the things that are interesting to me with no thought to the practical side of life??? Wow, where do I sign up? <br>

I've been an avid amateur photographer for about 35 years but I do not qualify as an artist. At least not by my own definition. Although I'm not an artist I have learned a lot on how you become one and hopefully some of that will be of use to you.</p>

<p>About 2 1/2 years ago my then high school daughter came to me with this whacked idea that she wanted to go to an art program within a university. I'll spare you the 6 months of me being thick-headed and fast forward to the part where she is now a freshmen Fine Arts major at UCLA in their School of Arts & Architecture. UCLA-Arts is very highly regarded in the art community with both their undergrad & grad programs. Getting in is really tough. I helped my daughter through the process and together we both have learned a lot about how to successfully beat the odds and land a spot within a top program.</p>

<p>UCLA's art program is interesting. My daughter's application portfolio was 100% photography and her intention was, and is, to concentrate in that area of art. UCLA has all of their undergrads take classes in ALL art disciplines (painting, drawing, ceramics, etc.) in the first and second years. Then the third and four years are spent developing your main art medium. Their theory is the exposure to painting will make you a better photographer and vise versa. Some schools go the other way where the student pretty much concentrates on one medium from day one. Both methods of instruction have merit but after seeing the results of many many students I like the UCLA method better.</p>

<p>Based on what you have written above, I would recommend that you consider enrolling as a student again in either a undergrad or MFA program. Don't discount the BA or BFA programs. You'll get the painting and drawing that you need at a more realistic level. This whole path for you is all 'journey' and not 'destination' so there is no hurry to finish. I love this idea!</p>

<p>I've reviewed most of the top art schools in the U.S. and I've seen well over a thousand student portfolios (and still counting...) so if any of that helps you just let me know.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

Peter Wagner</p>

<p>PS. By way of encouragement, UCLA-Arts currently has a student in his 50's and at USC-Roski I met an art student in her 70's. Both seem about as happy as could be working on their MFA's.</p>

<p>Peter Wagener wrote: "Oh how I envy you! To be able to go back to school and study the things that are interesting to me with no thought to the practical side of life??? Wow, where do I sign up? "<br /><br />Well, that's called retirement! I'm far from wealthy, but what the hey, I can eat regular once I'm dead. I'm short, round, and now, old.<br /><br />You mention 6 months of thick headedness, well teen-aged girls can be like that. My daughter was. I pay for 4.5 year free ride at an incredibly practical theater arts program, including an internship at Steppenwolf in Chicago, and now she wants to throw all that security away and become an RN. Go figure!</p>

• 2 weeks later...