How to set in camera sharpening on a D300

johnr78735

<p>If you are shooting RAW, the settings don't matter as they don't affect the RAW image (unless you are using Nikon software to open your files, in which case the files will open with the in-camera settings but are of course fully adjustable). If you are shooting JPGs, you can do it in-camera or in Photoshop or similar software. The choice of where you do it is up to you. It is better not to over sharpen in-camera.</p>

<p>If shooting jpeg, in camera sharpening will often be dictated by the lens.</p>

<p>My 50mm 1.8 is so stinkin' sharp, it needs very little in camera sharpening.<br>

Applying too much sharpening in camera when shooting jpeg is not a good idea, since you can add sharpening in post, but not remove it.</p>

<p>Raw as stated makes no difference where sharpening is almost always applied in post.</p>

<p>I agree with kevin and Elliot, I use mainly primes in my D300 and all of them are very sharp (35mm 1,8; 50mm f1,4; 60mm micro f2,8; 85mm f1,8). If you shoot in jpg with sharpening in camera, and use the maximum performance of the lens, I honestly think is too much sharp for a photo. Add it in post processing.</p>

<p>i think kevin was trying to say that some lenses are softer than others. in general, over-sharpening is not a good idea, but if you are shooting jpeg, applying some sharpening in-camera can save time if you dont want to meticulously post-process each pic. but i've never had to dial down the sharpening because a lens was "too sharp." there are some lenses where it needs little adjustment later on.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm not sure how the sharpness of a particular lens would affect pixel edges, but I'm willing to keep an open mind if someone can explain it to me. :-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Appreciate Eric's proper interpretation.</p>

<p>Of course the lens will not effect regional pixel edges, but setting sharpness in camera will save people PP time when shooting jpeg when overcoming "softness" of the lens.</p>

<p>ex: My 17-35 is soft at f/4 and less. (If) I shot jpeg, I would set in cam sharpness higher than my 50mm at the same f/value. It is nothing but a time saver for people who do not desire to plunge into the world of PP sharpening techniques.</p>

<p>I would be remiss w/o stating my opinion concerning in camera sharpening in general.</p>

<p>It makes no difference to me if I were to shoot jpeg or RAW; I am <strong>NOT</strong> an advocate of in camera sharpening.<br>

Although I can "undo" sharpening if I shot raw; I do not want (that) extra step since I rarely if ever require global sharpening.<br>

My personal feeling is good post technique speaks opposite of the time savings philosophy of in cam sharpening.</p>