Advice, & Critique Before Opening Studio

aura_jane

<p>I have been in business for about a year, and have moslty been small scale, a couple of weddings on my own, and several portrait sessions. I have also been doing a ton of pet photography, mostly for people I don't know personally, and have done around 10 mini session photo events at a gourmet pet food store, a groomers, and a vet clinic. 3 of which were charity fundraisers. The only portrait sessions I have done for people I do not know I have had to go to their location, or meet them somewhere, because I do not like bringing people to my home. I have shot around 10 weddings as a second shooter for a large wedding photographer in a larger neighboring city. I have decided that I would like to continue to second shoot larger weddings, and maybe take on one or two smaller scale weddings on my own, but focus on pet and senior photography. Those are the two areas I prefer, and also the two areas that no other photographer in my area are currently focusing. Most of them focus on weddings and children. I have found a small studio (200 sq ft) that I can afford with a six month lease. I have the ability to cover all costs for that first 6 months to see if it works out. It's not a great building, but it is in a good neighborhood and it's visible from a high traffic road. Any advise or things to consider before I make the big leap? Also, if anyone would be willing to look over my website and let me know if you feel I am ready for this, and focusing on the right areas. <a href="http://www.theampstudio.com">www.theampstudio.com</a></p>

<p>Looked at your site, Aura. Beautiful photographs. I think it's more about what you want to do than what you should do. A lot of photographers lose the way by becoming commercial. How strong are you? What do you want, money or images or both? Do you want to photograph weddings or be happy? Most wedding photographers are out to make money and learn a small craft to do that. What do you want, the craft or the money? If craft, avoid weddings; if money, go for it!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Shawn, Thank you! I actually love shooting weddings, but not when I am the lead. When I second shoot, it is the funnest thing ever! I have been to some pretty fun, very cool weddings, with great bands, awesome locations, and tons of equipment to play with. I get really excited looking at the back of my camera and seeing what comes out. But that is when I work for someone else. When I do them on my own, it's stressful, and costly and I don't get high end weddings. Also, I think I have learned enough about photography this year to know I am NOT ready to take on a $7-8k job. Maybe a small budget wedding that needs only 1 photog, but where is the fun in that? The only downfalls of second shooting are that I get paid a lot less, and I don't get to use any of my images. I had one that was published in a bridal magazine that I can never claim rights to because I was contracted. But at least I know I took it. That's why my wedding stuff is so slim.</p>

<p>Dear Aura:</p>

<p>First of all, congrats for getting this far! I've been in business for the past five years and we're looking to open a retail studio in the first quarter of 2011 (we're in the process of negotiating a 3-year lease in the MOST expensive and upscale enclave in my area . . . mucho bucks!), so I know where you are.</p>

<p>I looked at your web site and this is what I would say. Your work is beautiful. I took about 3 seconds to survey the quality and it's fine. The fact that I didn't spend MORE time looking at your work is exactly the point. The quality of work is important but less so than your ability to start up and run a retail business. </p>

<p>I took a longer look at your business model. You're going to KILL yourself with these prices. Sine you've only been in this for a year, I wonder if you've done a profit / loss statement yet to figure out your profit margin. Most photography studios hit a 35% (or so) profit margin if they're doing well. I don't know what your average sale is but consider that you probably take home a third of every gross dollar NOW, let alone with rent. </p>

<p>My average sale is $2,300 per session and I do around 100 sessions per year. Now I have to factor in rent and other lockstep costs (computer, Internet, furnishings, additional samples to hang on the wall, etc.) as well as a lot more for marketing, since I really need to get the word out to cover the cost of overhead (rent, utilities, the start-up costs, etc.).</p>

<p>The only place I would consider getting a space is in my prime market, where 80% of my work currently comes from anyway. I have enough high-paying clients in an affluent area to drive in the dollars. I would NOT consider setting up shop anywhere that doesn't naturally attract my prime client. You'll spin your wheels with clients who are out of your target demographic and you'll likely be too far for many of the clients you want.</p>

<p>The volume of work you're doing doesn't sound like a whole lot right now. I understand the inconvenience of having to shoot and sell on location (I do this now and have racked up 30,000 miles on my car in one year!), but I fear that you don't have enough volume or handle on your numbers yet to warrant taking on additional financial commitment yet. Only you know.</p>

<p>Plus, 200 sq. ft. sounds incredibly small. What are you able to shoot in there?</p>

<p>I'm not trying to poo poo your idea (trust me, I know how excited you are because I feel that same excitement) but I can tell you that a woman opened up a studio in our area a few years ago and it was clear she was woefully underprepared. She tanked in a year and it was sad to see her demise. Further, she probably ended up in debt and ruined her reputation as a "high end player." It's better to wait it out and be certain than to take a premature risk that will set you back for years.</p>

<p>Good luck in whatever you decide. Best wishes and let us know what you do :)</p>

<p>Cheers!</p>

<p>Karen Lippowiths</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Karen, thank you for your response. I am setting up in an area that would attract my clients. Just not a great bulding. Kind of like a run of the mill bland office setup. I just intend to use it for studio portraits, and meeting with clients to sign papers and view samples. I am ok with not making a profit for the first year, just as long as I can cover expenses. I am sure most of my work will still be outside of the studio. I have had to turn down a couple of jobs because I didn't know them enough to let them come to my home. I will not go into debt to open for 6 months. I have enough to cover all the costs. I won't have much money for advertising though. I have a lot of my samples and flyers already, but I will need to purchase some more. I live in an area with dirt cheap rent, and most photogs are low priced. In your opinion, would raising my prices be doable?</p>

<p>Hi Aura:</p>

<p>All good news. Raising your rates would not only be "doable" but highly advisable! Since it's year-end, take a few hours to do a Profit / Loss to see how everything came out for you in 2010. That should give you a good sense of where you need to price yourself. Then, do a projected model and add in the expenses of your studio and all it entails.</p>

<p>I LIVE by my Profit / Loss. I make no decisions without running through various scenarios. The numbers never lie!</p>

<p>Good luck :)</p>

<p>Karen</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Aura....love your people images but, you show a quite limited range of <em><strong>styles</strong></em>. You should have a wider selection of posing and environmental styles to show a larger range.<br>

I did not think much of the "commercial" images at all.....a client looking for professional, commercial, product work need to see far better images from both an artistic, and technical viewpoint<br>

Lastly....I would not recomend showing the Rules& Regs right on the opening page.....for one thing, they are not comprehensive enough to cover the broad scope of categories you offer, and, secondly don't get into fine print as soon as someone hits your site!<br>

I did like most of the people pictures I saw though.....just a wee bit narrow in scope.....Regards, Robert</p><div>00XwSm-316007584.jpg.9a7d010e1a93844e30eeef1bd78a36da.jpg</div>

Thanks Robert. I added that commercial part recently to see how it would go over. Guess I have my answer. It is the only

ad work I have done. It is for a local pet store. I took your advice and culled that category. The style of my photographs on

my website represents what I like to do. I have a wider range in my history, but this represents my style.

<p>Dear Aura -</p>

<p>First of all, welcome to the business! You have some promising starts to your portfolio, and a website that displays your images quite professionally.</p>

<p>I'd like to expand a bit on the excellent advice given to you by Karen Lippowiths, and ask you to consider the reasons why you want to have a physical location at all?</p>

<p>Having our own studio is something many photographers have dreampt of for years. And the motivations for having a studio can be quite varied. For some, those reasons are strictly financial, because they assume that having a storefront operation will automatically equate to an increase in revenue. For others, the idea of having their shingle set out front for the world to see fulfills an inner need to show that you are more than just a hobbyist, but a serious professional. And for others, they assume that even if they do the same amount of business, having a single location to show up for work each day definitely beats driving to Timbuktu and back every month, and the gas savings will more than offset the cost of rent.</p>

<p>These are all legitimate reasons for wanting to open your own retail store... but not every reason that is legitimate is also sound business sense. In fact, while it's legitimate to want to show Mom and Dad and your high school art teacher and everyone who ever told you, "You'll never make it", those people and their opinions won't contribute a penny to your monthly rent when the landlord comes around each month. (Well, maybe Mom and Dad might... but then, if they have to help out, that kinda blows the notion of "professional" in their minds.)</p>

<p>So, here's what I propose - Before you sign any contracts, ask yourself this very important question: What ELSE could I use that rent money for that might help my business succeed even faster?</p>

<p>In the old days, back when people still used The Yellow Pages for something other than a doorstop or a booster seat, having a storefront operation made a lot more sense. In the minds of customers, they needed to have someplace in their minds to picture WHERE you were located. Having a Yellow Pages ad which rings the phone in your sewing room didn't give them a sense that you were a legitimate business person, because back then, you had to BE somewhere that they recognized. (Such as, "We're in the Eastgate Mall, between Sears and B. Dalton." THEN they could picture where you were.</p>

<p>But the Internet has changed all of that... or at least a whole lot of that.</p>

<p>Nowadays, your website is "where" you're located. The fact that you have a professional website is often quite enough to establish your legitimacy in the minds of many customers. (Along with some effective testimonials and a solid portfolio.) A brick and mortar studio is not nearly as crucial as it once was - and I would argue that it's not "crucial" at all, in fact. Clicks replaced bricks, and as long as you are in cyberspace, then you ARE "somewhere."</p>

<p>Ask yourself this: Do you know where Amazon.com is located? How about iTunes? What about Twitter or Facebook? Do you even CARE where their physical offices are located? Probably not... and neither do the zillions of people who use their online sites for hours each month. If you pull over and ask someone "How do I get to Facebook from here?", they will look at you like you're crazy. "Just get on the Internet, dude... THAT'S where Facebook is!"</p>

<p>Now, although I'm not claiming that a Mom & Pop business has the same clout as one of those behemoths, the same principle still applies. You ARE somewhere, because you have a website.</p>

<p>Now ask yourself this: Will people who were impressed by my cool-looking flash-based website be equally impressed by the look of my brick-and-mortar studio? Or, will they maybe say, "Hmmm... I expected something a lot fancier after seeing her site"?</p>

<p>The last thing you want to do is have people think LESS of you after meeting you in person, than the opposite. By your own description, the building that you would bring them to would be a let-down, because it is, well... rather "blah". And after experiencing a ho-hum facade on the outside, they would be treated to a less-than-stellar "studio" the size of their living room. When your back was turned, there would no doubt be some serious "Uh-oh!" glances shared between spouses.</p>

<p>Remember, when it comes to photography, YOU are the product. Not your pictures, not your prices, not your studio. You are the talent. You are the one who has the amazing ability to do with a camera something they can never seem to duplicate with their point-and-shoots. And all those other external things, (portfolio, studio, and the ability to command hefty prices), only serve to support the notion that YOU are worthy, (and worth), the high esteem they gave you after seeing your website. Anything, (and I mean ANYTHING) that does not support that impression must be ruthlessly discarded.</p>

<p>Remember when Cher went from being an Oscar-winning movie star, to selling products in infomercials? That was inconsistent with how the public thinks a movie star should be seen, and even though her infomercials were well-made, it ended up costing her millions in lost roles, and lost credibility. (Now that she's in the movie "Burlesque", try calling her agent and offering her a great infomercial opportunity, and you'll be hung up on in 2 seconds flat.)</p>

<p>In the minds of consumers, photographers are larger-than-life. (At least, for many people.) You have the ability to both see AND capture their lives in a way that they never can... and they are willing to pay you for it. Moms in particular know that unless they hire a real Pro to make beautiful images of their children, then their entire childhood will be a series of uninspired snapshots at birthday parties. You, Miss Aura, are the one who can work your magic in a way that can truly astound them.</p>

<p>In fact, I would say that your name is a perfect example of what you want to create; you want an Aura of mystery and magic to permeate every interaction they have with you. With humility and a playful sense of humor, you want them to look to you as some sort of Wizard of Pictures -- a woman who makes them laugh and smile and maybe even cry when they suddenly see their world through your eyes.</p>

<p>And, if a 200 square-foot room in a bland building can do that, then go for it. But even YOU don't sound too excited about the space itself. So I doubt that future clients will feel something that you don't feel.</p>

<p>So, back to the money: If your monthly rent was between $500 and a thousand dollars a month, (maybe less, not sure), ask yourself if that 500 dollars was spent on, say, partnering with a local high-end preschool in your area to host a "Picture Party" for their clients and kids, or partner with the Homeowners Association of several neighborhoods that you'd like to target, and invite them to a raffle and free photo session at their Clubhouse.</p>

<p>Even if you spend $200 renting equipment, and $100 on fliers, and another $200 on a prize, you'll still get more actual face-time with prospective customers than you ever will from people who will walk past your storefront window and never step through the door.</p>

<p>Again, it comes down to "How can I best spend this money to get people to know I'm out there?"</p>

<p>One thing you mention is that you'd like to have a physical space to have people sign papers and view samples. But viewing samples is something people can easily do online, (most prefer being able to do it in the privacy of their homes, without having to get in the car), and signing papers or meeting clients is something that can be done at the local Starbucks, on your dime. Buying a five dollar cup of coffee and a muffin a few times a month is a LOT cheaper than shelling out several hundred every single month. Also, you can rent the conference room at your local Kinko's for about 25 dollars an hour.</p>

<p>Basically, you just tell people, "I do virtually all of my images on-location, using natural light and real places for my backgrounds. While I think that studio images can sometimes look nice, I'm someone who thinks that the Real World makes a much better backdrop than a plain white sheet. Also, my subjects just seem to feel a lot more relaxed when they are out in the real world, rather than having a camera and hot studio lights staring them in the face. I get a lot more natural results that way, because people can really just be who they are."</p>

<p>Studios might make sense for doing group shots of a large number of people. But fitting a large number into 200 square-feet will be a challenge at best. And, although you still see people having their Senior Portraits done in studios, a lot of young people consider that look to be kind of cheesey. They prefer posing with their surfboard at the beach, or playing their guitar on the hood of a car. And a lot of your best shots were taken in places that can't be duplicated in a studio - no matter how large.</p>

<p>One other thing I'd like you to do is spend an afternoon and a tankful of gas driving around to as many of the studios you can find in your county. Many of them will pretty ordinary, while some of them will be pretty fancy, but they will all have ONE thing in common; there will be virtually no visible activity. You'll see staff and owners twiddling their thumbs, maybe peering out the windows, wondering where all that walk-in traffic is? Yes, some of the activity will be behind the scenes and in the backroom studios. But all the same, there will still be a WHOLE lot of sitting around,worrying about how they are going to pay rent that month.</p>

<p>Now, Karen Lippowiths mentioned possibly opening a studio soon in a very high-rent district in her area. I hope she does well, because (a) she's totally smart, (b) she's a great encourager and level-headed contributor here, and © I love her site, her photos and her branding. But even she does the vast majority of her images in places that just can't be replicated in a studio environment. So I'm curious to see if, after signing a three-year lease in a very uncertain economic environment, if she thinks that the physical studio ended up being a boon or a drain on her bottom line?</p>

<p>We live in the best time ever for photography; While a storefront studio can be seen from across the street, your website can be seen around the world! You can work on images in your jammies on your home laptop, and upload them 24-7 to private galleries for the clients to view at their leisure, without getting the smell of chemicals in your hair. Your digital camera, once paid for, can give you instant feedback and virtually free images for years to come. And investing that monthly rent in marketing and raising your Search Engine visibility can bring you clients without ever having to pay for a Yellow Pages ad. As a result, a couple in Fiji might hire you to shoot their wedding as easily as a couple in your neighborhood.</p>

<p>These are amazing times, and as people like Karen Lippowiths can attest, you don't need to pay your dues for 20 years before you can be successful. In a mere 5 years, she has developed skills that put her on par with folks who have toiled away for ages at this craft. (Just take a peek at her blog to see how she creates images that look like they'd be right at home in a Calvin Klein ad, or in the pages of GQ.)</p>

<p>The point is, having an actual physical studio just might a very antiquated notion for quite a few photographers. For some, a studio might be as practical as turning their bathroom into a darkroom; it's a relic of a previous era. (Note that I said for SOME, certainly not all.) </p>

<p>On the dark side, a studio can not only be a drain financially, but it can be even MORE of a drain psychically, because it causes a person to sit on their buns waiting for the phone to ring, or waiting for traffic to walk through the door. And little by little, you feel that you CAN'T leave the office, because, "What if someone comes by and I'm not here?"... or "I'm a STUDIO photographer now! I can't be traipsing all over who-knows-where making pictures. People are supposed to come to ME!"</p>

<p>And so, the person who once got out there regularly to shoot and make great images, (whether paid or just for fun), finds themselves sitting in a studio that gets used maybe an hour or two a day... if that.</p>

<p>I'm a practical guy, and I have always asked myself, "What's the BEST way for me to spend this money, so that I can meet my goal of being thought of as the best at what I do?" And, for me, that means NOT having a studio, but instead, to be thought of as someone who is like a top fashion photographer who goes on assignment shooting average (well-heeled) folks. Yes, they have money... but their still just folks. Until they see my images of them, that is. Then they feel like celebrities.</p>

<p>Zig Ziglar once said, "It's better to go after whales than minnows. Because if you catch 500 minnows, all you have is a bucket of fish. But if you catch just ONE whale, you're set for life!" Now, obviously, you can poke holes in that if you take it too literally. But the basic point is sound; Even if you shoot 2 people a month at $2,300, [the rate that Karen Lippowiths charges], you're still WAY ahead of the game than if you shoot 30 clients at $150 each. While the amount is a mere one hundred dollars difference between the two, the headache involved in serving 28 more clients per month is huge. And keep in mind that the mindset of customers looking for a bargain is often to nickel-and-dime you to death. (I used to volunteer for an annual charity, and the people paying $50 dollars for their 15-minute sessions were every bit as demanding, or more, than clients who pay me $3,000 for a full-length half-day session.)</p>

<p>The fact that you've found this forum, you've got a good website, and you have both talent and enough money in reserve to allow yourself time to grow is all a big plus in your favor. But trust me when I tell you that finding bargains in the commercial real estate sector is not going to be a problem in the foreseeable future. But finding the right clients will be.</p>

<p>Concentrate on the latter more than the former, and if you still feel that a studio is right for you, then go for it. But just make sure that the experience you give them is every bit as impressive as your website. Otherwise, you'll harm your reputation in the end. </p>

<p>All in all I think your photography is good, a few things I (and remember, this is just my opinion) don't like. <br>

First of all the splash screen. Get rid of it. How many people do you think come to your site and DON'T want to enter? Just start with the main page. Also the splash screen isn't so nicely designed and at least for me the photo is certainly not your best. If you feel that's your absolutely best image, then I understand it being there. But I saw a lot of better pics (for me at least).</p>

<p>Secondly the website is ok, but the focus could be more on the photos, the thick white lines are a distraction, your logo is pretty large and pure white. the menu could also be grey or something. Basically your site is pretty good, but not great. It doesn't say high end, neither does your branding. It's still pretty solid, but you want to look like high end, produce high end work and charge more. If you seem high end, it's easier to ask for more money. </p>

<p>The third thing I'd do is edit more. For me at least you have pictures that range from ok to great. Try to show only great work or if you don't have enough of that, show great and very good. Don't show ok, you don't need to! I think it's better to have 20 great images rather than 150 images of which 20 are great. You don't need to show hundreds of images. You may disagree and that's fine. :)</p>

<p>I am a designer, so I guess I'm a lot more picky than most, but I hope you get something useful from my opinions. And good luck with your career. But if you decide to rent a studio, it needs to be big enough (and high ceilings, if possible). If you want a small office, that's different and many times better than working at home.</p>