Rolex or M9?

travis1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Happy New Year all!<br>

Yes, the fence is tilting towards the Sub since yesterday. Your input has been vastly beneficial...and much appreciated.<br>

Oddly enough, when the M9 was out, I didn't feel the impulse to jump on it, even though the funds are ready. But with the Sub, it's very different (perhaps time will tell(no pun intended)). Yes I know it's just a watch and an Invicta may do the job as well...who knows..but if only life is so simple. I only had 3 watches of my own, the last being a Seiko. Wife got me the Tag(limited edition) as a gift.<br>

I have talked to my wife about this last night. The decision is something like this. Keep the Tag for my future son-in-law, get the Sub(following my impulse) and continue to use the rd1s.<br>

Yes i will miss the full frame for now. But the lady has spoken.<br>

cheers.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a Submariner and I absolutely love it. It took a lot of saving up to afford one, but I eventually reached the goal. Personally, I think you will get a helluva lot more mileage out of the Rolex than the Leica. 35 to 40 years from now the Rolex will still be keeping perfect time. 35-40 years from now the Leica will either be on your shelf collecting dust or in a landfill somewhere.</p>

<p>How many responders to the Original Post read the admonishment :<br /> "Community Standards: Please take a moment to ask yourself if what you're about to post is going to be useful to the person who asked the question. Then ask yourself if, when someone stumbles upon this exchange four years from now via a Google search, they are going to say 'that was worth my time to read'."</p>

<p>I'm appalled at how many of the responses are juvenile and contain no factual information or constructive helpful information. Many of the Replies are just juvenile and some are down right insulting to the Original Poster.-Dick</p>

<p> </p>

<p>M9 Travis- a $300 tissot will do the same job as a Rolex, a $300 camera won't do the same job as an M9... I bought a rolex when I was a younger, more foolish man- I still have it 15 yrs later, it looks as good as the day I bought it, but I'd NEVER do it now (I hardly ever wear it). Much rather the camera, since I get a lot more out of cameras than I do out of watches. Let us know how you get on ;)</p>

<p>I see you start the New Year in a very difficult situation, with tough choices to make....Those who may be unemployed or about to lose a house just would not understand how agonizing and difficult a choice this must be for you.<br /> Shwew, at least some good fortune has swung your way with the extension of the much needed above $200k tax breaks. Should make your decision a little easier.<br /> Ok, I may get slammed like hell for this post, but just had to say it. Fortunately, my choices are not as tough as yours or those who still need a job. But I find it pretty disgusting to read a self indulging gloating post like this.</p>

<p>There is no substitute for a Rolex Submariner! I'm talking about a SS version, not a gaudy gold one. It feels great on your wrist, looks sharp, and part of that feeling comers from knowing that people observe it, often from a distance, and somehow know that it is real and substantial. It conveys that you are a person of discerning taste, and every day it will give you at least a little satisfaction.</p>

<p>The Rolex is the one piece of jewelry I'd like to have. I'd get what's called among journalists, "the foreign correspondent's" Rolex. That's the one with the 24-hour bezel so you know what time it is at the home office. That said, I'd go for the M9. When I showed an upper Eastside NYC friend my new M8.2 (purchased when they first came out) plus the old lens that was on it and she asked I said it would be about US$10,000 for the camera and lens. She said "wow, it's like having having a Rolex around your neck". I guess that'll do.</p>

<p>Rolexes to me are brutish and rather ugly (for poseurs with too much money is my usual reaction, although I suppose the same could be said for the Leica M9). I would never pay that much money for something so ugly - if you must get a watch, and I agree with others who say that <em>as an investment </em>they are probably a better bet - get something that is actually attractive?</p>
Robin Smith