Zoom creep any DIY suggestions

mike_hawley

<p>Hi, <br>

I've had a 75-300 mm USM lens for ages and I am happy with the results, but the annoying feature of this lens is that it creeps, so I walk around with the camera on a hand strap holding the lens back with one finger firmly on the barrel. <br>

A couple of months ago I bought a 18-135 mm on eBay (having read the reviews which all say no sign of zoom creep) and guess what .. it creeps too.<br>

A zoom lock would have been the answer but Canon didn't fit one (unlike Sigma).<br>

Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple and inexpensive DIY solution? <br>

Thanks <br>

Mike</p>

<p>My personal solution on essentially the same lens (with IS) is to ignore it, but mine is still somewhat stiff</p>

<p>Some people have tried things like a broad rubber bands, but both the focus and the focal length selector on this lens extend the front tube, so where do you start?</p>

<p>This is one of the older lenses in the Canon listing, maybe some future lens will fix the problem --<br>

I know, you can buy the new EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS lens! It's only about 10 times more expensive. ;)</p>

<p>I don't have a solution other than what's already here, just a comment.</p>

<p>I've shot Canon for about ten years through a 10D, 30D, and now a 7D. I've had a variety of their mid-range zooms (not their cheapest zooms, and not their 'L' lenses either), and I'm always disappointed by the quality and smoothness of the zoom mechanisms, particularly on the 28-135.</p>

<p>Either they creep, or they bind somewhere through the zoom range, etc. But I've rarely ever used one that's smooth when zoomed slowly from end to end like you would do when you're trying to tightly and carefully frame something. Very annoying...</p>

<p>I now own two Tamrons in addition to my Canons, their older SP 17-35 and the newly released SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD. The new Tamron 70-300 USD is VERY heavily damped (takes some getting used to), but......it's smooth and there's no zoom creep at all.</p>

<p>I think Canon has some good mid-range zooms, particularly some of the EF-S lenses, and I would like to try them out to see if these might use better quality mechanisms than those used on the 28-135. But as long as Canon can't solve these issues with their mid-range zooms, I'll continue to look at Tamron and perhaps Sigma for options as long as image quality is comparable because from what I've experienced they've got their zoom mechanisms down pat. </p>

<p>John</p>

<p>In the opposite direction of this post (but still related), <a href="00XzwV">I've posted this question in the Canon Lens category</a> looking for some suggestions if anyone has them. Thanks for any help!</p>