Kiron Autofocus EF mount?

rick_drawbridge

<p>I'm being offered a Kiron 28-210mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom in EF mount. I have an early M42 mount Kiron zoom of similiar specifications, f/3.8 rather than f3.5, and it's probably the best of the "superzooms" of that era, but I can find no information on what is obviously a much more recent lens.</p>

<p>Has anyone come across this lens? I can't imagine it being a great performer, but one never knows...</p>

<p>Also, as I'm sure you are aware, Kiron lenses in M42, Nikon, or other mounts could have an adapter to EOS tacked onto them.</p>

<p>I don't know of any of these lenses that would not be manual focus, manual stop-down on an EOS camera, even if somehow some other mount had been modified to fit on an EOS body.<br>

<br /> Kadlubeks Objektiv-Katalog only shows only a Kiron 28-210mm f/ 4-5.6 in PK and Y mounts (Pentax K and Yashica? Kadlubek's mount information is fairly inconsistent), but this is the sort of non-European lens history that this catalog is weakest in.</p>

<p>I can see screw heads in the glass; looks like they haven't been blackened. That doesn't give me warm fuzzies about the likely image quality.</p>

<p>Part of the mount is visible in the first picture. It could be Canon EOS. Also the lens lacks an aperture ring; do any old mounts other than Canon EOS have no aperture ring?</p>

<p>Cool find.</p>

<p><strong>Marc,</strong> I'll see what I can do but the seller is a little unresponsive and not very photo-literate.<br>

It's my understanding that the lens was used on a "Canon film camera, but the chap in the shop said it would also fit digital..." As <strong>Alan</strong> has pointed out, I can't think of any other autofocus Canon-film-camera-fitting lens without an aperture ring, other than those with an EF mount.</p>

<p>Thanks <strong>Robert</strong>, it does indeed look like the Vivitar, though I can't find a really good reference pic of that beast. I'm beginning to suspect that whoever produces the currently abysmal Vivitar lenses has cheated and released a few bearing the respected "Kiron" name. The Vivitar sells for about $150, new...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I can't think of any other autofocus Canon-film-camera-fitting lens without an aperture ring, other than those with an EF mount.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>True... if it fits a Canon camera. It looks a lot like the Minolta-A mount... which was my first thought when I saw the pictures.</p>

<p>This would appear to be it and it is indeed AF and eos fit (one reviewer used it on his 350D (XT to you guys I think)) Only downside is that its a trombone style Zoomer so lens creep on something this age could be a problem.<br>

BTW the first link below takes a long time to load the page be patient<br>

http://photosig.photographyreview.com/mfr/vivitar/35mm-zoom/PRD_388559_3128crx.aspx</p>

<p>Also found this, same lens on a Pentax PK mount but scan down and you will find some shots taken with the lens.</p>

<p>http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/17042-%5Bsold%5D-fs-vivitar-28-210-macro-zoom-f-3-5-5-6-pentax-p5.html</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>John</strong>, but the AF lenses that require batteries are usually much bulkier than this lens and of quite difference appearance. <strong>Gary</strong>, the lens in your first link is the Vivitar which I suspect this "Kiron "actually is, while the lens in the second is the reasonably common Vivitar manual macro zoom . Interesting reviews for the Vivitar AF, though.....You're right about the appearance of the mount, <strong>Bueh</strong>. I'll try to get a picture.</p>