5DMkII and 1DS MkII

paulie_smith1

<p>Am looking at these two bodies. I use 1DMkIIn and would like a full frame body as well. The 5D is newer but the 1DsMkII is built better and will use the batteries I already have and should handle more like I am used to. The 1D is supposed to have better AF with moving subjects also, a real plus.<br>

Is the final image file of the 5DMkII going to be noticeably 'better' in use than the older pro body? Will there be a viewable difference in quality up to 20x24 or so? I can live with the newer body if the images are actually better - enough to be seen by a discerning eye.<br>

I am not able to go to a camera shop and see the difference without an 8 hour drive, one way. No 'local' camera shops anywhere within 5 hours and it does not handle pro gear.<br>

The deciding factor for me will be the final image. From what I have read they look very close. Is this correct?</p>

<p>The "final image" of the 5D2 will probably be ever so slightly better under normal shooting - but probably not readily noticible. The 5D2 has the ability to shoot at higher ISO's (and shoot video) if that's a major concern. The 1DS2 has better focusing, metering and construction, plus as you're aware it will handle like your existing 1D2. I have the 1D3 and 1DS3 pair and like you appreciate the ability to exchange batteries and other accessories. Plus the controls are identical so switching between bodies doesn't impact me. For what it's worth when I compare images between my pair, up to 11x14 when viewing at a normal distance they are basically the same quality. When I go to 16x20 and beyond I can start to see a small difference. But I'm comparing 10mp to 21mp. Your choice would be between 16mp and 21mp - pretty much the same. </p>

<p>I started using the 1D IIn in 2007 and it is a unique and powerful tool in today's market for its price. I owned both the 5DII and 1Ds II but no longer use them. In terms of large printed images you are not going to spot the 5D II or 1Ds II apart at 20x24 using the same lens/technique/processing, the difference between them is small. For me, live-view fundamentally changed the way I used small format cameras, so that became one of my criteria after having used it on the 5DII. </p>