Any one has a Nikkor 2.8/ 24mm AI for parts?

CosteaM

<p>I just noticed that the rear element of my 24mm Nikkor is badly scratched and produces out-of-focus areas in the middle of the negative. I need a defective lens with the rear element intact to fix mine. Any one has something like this around here? I'm willing to pay for it of course. Thanks</p>

<h2><strong><br /></strong></h2>

<p>Yes, blackening the scratch should make the problem less bad. The out-of-focus area may really just be flare from the light that bent the wrong way coming out of the scratch.<br /> Nikon still makes this lens, so the element should be available as a spare part. But between the parts cost, and paying someone to do that, it's surely going to cost more than an "Excellent Plus" used lens at KEH.com ($205).<br /> Replacing an element or group in this lens will not be an easy home project. It's a floating-element lens, so it's going to be very complicated to work on. Also, it probably needs some special operations to recalibrate for the new element or group, as lens elements are not consistent in thickness, and thus not consistent in focal length. It will also need to be re-collimated.<br>

You might want to buy a <a href="http://www.photobooksonline.com/books/manual08NIKLEN.html">copy of the service manual</a> for this lens before considering any home repairs.<br>

You might wind up with a much better lens if you bought the "Ugly" one from KEH.com for $69. It's even AI-S.</p>

<p>The trouble here, I think, if I may be pardoned for intruding, is precisely that the kind of person who would <em>keep</em> a "for parts" Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 is also a person who is unlikely to part with it, just in case...... :)</p>

<p>The blackening in the scratch (wiping off any ink outside the scratch) actually works pretty well. So-called India or permanent ink of the sort formerly used to ink engineering plans works better than marker, in my experience. I admit that I have done this on front elements, but never tried it on the rear element.... It would be easy enough to remove the ink if it does create a shadow or some such.</p>

<p>JDM, you are correct. This is why I said I would pay for it. I saw one on the Evilbay asking for $89 but it has the same problem - rear element scratched. I have asked KEH whether the UG item they have listed has a fairly clean rear element. Will see. Funny thing is that I never heard of the blackening treatmet, I thought Kozma is joking. I must apologize. I will try this since there is nothing to lose.</p>