What DSLR to go for?

<p>Boy, this is fun. Okay, for flooring have you tried just flipping a flatbed scanner upside down then hitting the scan button? Stitch together multiple scans for larger works. A netbook and an one pound USB powered scanner completes the kit.</p>

<p>No perspective correction issues. No problems with lighting. You get essentially a digital contact print with all the superior image quality that it implies. </p>

<p>DSLR with perspective correction - you're down to Nikon and Canon. They are the only two DSLR manufacturers that make tilt lenses.</p>

<p>Photographing art? You need resolution and the least noise. So, it's a full frame sensor.<br>

Canon 1Ds or a Nikon D3x. The Canon is 21.1 MP and the Nikon is 24.5 MP. The Nikon is 3.4MP better.</p>

<p>So, <strong>you need a Nikon D3x.</strong></p>

I suggest an inexpensive high resolution (12 megapixels or more) solution that does video well. You are basically

limited to the Canon 60 D if you want the best range of tilt- shift lenses and usability. The fold-out screen will make

that camera your best solution for shooting down at subjects on the floor. The Nikon D5000 is an alternative, but the

Canon 17mm tilt lens is your best solution in tilt lenses with an APS-C size sensor. One thing that is nice about Canon

is you will be getting a very capable camera, and the Canon 15-85mm zoom is a best-in-class lens. Nikon's 16-85

just won't satisfy your needs like the Canon will. The canon body is very good quality for the price too. This gives you

a high resolution two lens solution for $5,000. Add the 5 D Mk II body with a 45mm tilt lens, and you'll have a really

great set-up for under ten grand.

Look into using an iPad. You will probably need a networking

accessory for your camera, but I believe there are solutions out

there that will allow you to focus and shoot remotely through a

wireless network or directly wirelessly or with a cable. You can even

review and zoom in on the preview image to check focus. For a

more expensive solution look at the Seitz 160 megapixel high-speed

scanning back/camera.

One advantage the more expensive equipment has is the higher

dynamic range. I would start with the Canon 60 D though, because it

will be much faster and more versatile (it does full HD video).

Hi Scott, The IPad idea sounds like a fantastic idea, I will look into this strait away, the 60d looks like a great starting place after I've got use to the new setup with the 20d as a practice. I would eventually like to get to the stage were I'm shooting floors DMF. I'm also going to start looking for photographers around the world that will take this up. In December Cracked Mud became the biggest seller belive it or not.

• 3 weeks later...