Unhelpful comments on photos

jfr1

<p>One way is to just remove [*delete*] your image, and after a couple of hours re-post it to your portfolio.</p>

<p>The critique request does not have to be made -- then no one can make your day go badly with a poor comment on your image.</p>

<p>...with so many persons on Photo Net, it is not possible to please each one all the time.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>In figure skating, gymnastics, diving ..., the athletes do not get to choose which judge's score to keep and which ones to throw away either. The current system might not be perfect, but if one can pick and choose scores and comments, only the favorable ones will remain. Everything may look great but that will also destroy the system.</p>

<p>One thing to bear in mind is that critiques of your photos are not just for you. They're a contribution to the community, for everyone to read and benefit from. A comment that you don't appreciate or agree with may be useful to someone else. Some of the comments may arguably be lame, but even if we wanted to allow for someone to evaluate and remove lame comments, I don't think the photographer would be the best person to do that.</p>

<p>While there are those like the ignorant philistines who give some of my best pictures a '3', there is really no such thing as a critique that is "not helpful".</p>

<p>It's your side of the equation to figure out why the critique was given. If the critique is truly abusive and clearly unrelated to the photograph, complain to the management -- such things are not permitted under the terms of use of this site.</p>

<p>I looked at Jan's most recent photos and saw what I considered to be a really stupid comment. Photographically, I had no objections to what was said and could see where part of the comment could be helpful, but the commenter went on to say that Jan should have deleted the photo because of the problems he saw. I think that's crossing a line.</p>

<p>That being said, however, I'm glad Jan can't delete the comment. Because it tells me how stupid, rude, and boorish the commenter is and tells me nothing about Jan. The best way to deal with stupid comments is to leave them standing for all of us to see.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

There are times when I take delete option, sometimes I'll leave things as they are. Once I had a shot of a lone

photographer with a big White lens, sitting alone in a huge bank of White seats. One of the comments suggested that

the image would be better if I cloned out the photographer and replaced him with Santa (in July). I left that

photo/comment for everyone to see.

<p>IMO Jan's photos are readily more interesting than most on P.N., and they're well-executed. He hasn't restricted himself to the same old tired formlae or subjects and he doesn't rely on cartoonish post-processing.</p>

<p> Some of of his photos seem casual or experimental, and/but that willingness to play is to his credit. I'm not an enthusiast for "nature" photography, but his snow scenes are elegant and his appreciation for light is admirable. </p>

<p>I hope it's OK to speak well of a photographer without resorting to some unfortunate ratings system.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Learning how to endure unhelpful criticism will help you a great deal in the profession of photography.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Agreed, provided that the criticisms are supported with reasoning, however subjective. Comments like "I love it", "I hate it", "Beautiful", etc. without explaining WHY fall into the "unhelpful" category. Just ignore them.</p>