Best Three Lens Kit for the Leica M8?

brad_herman1

<p>All;<br>

I have a Leica M8 with a 28mm F/2.8 ASPH Elmarit, and a 50mm F2 Summicron. For some reason, I purchased a 35mm F/2.5 Summarit as sort of a 'bridge' lens, which would on the M8, give me pretty much a normal lens at 47mm.<br>

Now, I'm wondering if the 28mm will suffice with an effective 37mm, and the 50 as an effective 67mm so, was the 35 a waste of $$ ??<br>

I can return it, and can pickup a 75mm Summarit (effective 100mm) for a good, three lens kit?<br>

What are you guys doing for your M8-M8.2s?<br>

Thanks, Brad</p>

<p>I would think that 28-35-50 would be a bit too close together. I'm currently using a 21-35-50 combo with the 21 and 35 being used most often. It' all about your own personal vision though, so what works for someone else might not be relevant. If you like longer rather than wider lenses I think a 28-50-75 kit would be nice.<br>

-Thomas</p>

<p>Use the frameline preview lever.<br>

But my hunch is the 75mm is your best choice for a third lens, giving a rather tight portrait lens. You would wind up somewhere close to the classic 35/50/90 set for a Leica film camera.<br>

Otherwise, consider a 24mm, since that's the widest lens you have framelines for in the M8 finder. 28 and 35 are just too close to be in a three lens outfit. The difference between 24 and 28 is a lot more than the difference between 28 and 35.</p>

<p>Hi Brad,<br /><br />While I have other lenses, what usually goes in my bag with the M8 is a 28/1.9 Ultron, a 35/1.4 pre-asph Summilux, and a 75/2.5 Voigtlander. I absolutely adore my 50/2 Summicron, but do find it close enough to both the 35 and 75 that it usually doesn't come along.<br>

The 75 is the latest addition, and I found it quite useful recently. I'm pleased with it, and it was quite inexpensive.<br>

Reed</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I would definitely go for the 75 which is a great length both full frame and on the M8. Meanwhile I'd send the 35mm to me, Vince P (e-mail me for address). I'll take care of it, feed it, keep it clean, work on its inevitable self-esteem issues, and give it a good education, all for a nominal fee.</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>Old thread, but still a current issue.</p>

<p>I own both the M8.2 and M Monochrom and the following five lenses, 28 Elmarit ASPH, 35 Summarit, 50 Jupiter 3, 75 Summarit and 90 Summarit. The ideal 3 lens kit depends on what I am doing at the time, and while that 35 is a bit close to the 28 and 50 (on either the M8 or the Mono), it is just perfect as an "only" lens when out and about.</p>

<p>There is just a certain magic to both 35 and 50mm focal lengths and the 35mm Summarit is actually my favorite lens in that focal length. It is small, light, inexpensive and has bokeh to die for. I would take it over the 35 Cron any day of the week.</p>