File management in LR3

<p>Sorry in advance for the lengthy post. Not sure I even know where to begin. When I started using LR, I was entirely self-taught and as such, I was focused on learning the develop module and didn't bother to learn much about file management or the library module. I realize that I am not utilizing any of LR's functionality in this area, and until now I've been OK with that, partly because my existing workflow, while cumbersome, was working ok for me.<br>

Currently, my workflow is as follows;</p>

<ol>

<li>After a shoot, I will create a folder on my computer's desktop (for example "2010_12_22 sally jones headshots"). </li>

<li>Within that folder, I will build several sub-folders, including one for each of the memory cards I used during the event, numbered 1-x. I will also create sub-folders for "exported jpegs", "blog", etc. </li>

<li>I transfer raw files from cards to the corresponding numbered card sub-folders via a card reader.</li>

<li>Import all images into LR.</li>

<li>Cull and edit in LR and PS.</li>

<li>Export jpegs to the "exported jpeg" sub folder.</li>

<li>Move the entire folder to my external hard drive for archiving, and manually copy and paste that entire folder onto a second external hard drive for backup.</li>

<li>Remove the images from LR. I keep ALL raw images, even rejects. </li>

</ol>

<p>Yes, yes, yes, I know, this is a crazy workflow<br>

Advantages of this workflow; it's simple to understand and it works for me, and it keeps things uncluttered. It also keeps images on my desktop while I'm working on them, so that the editing process isn't slowed by having to access files on an external drive, which always seems to add a frustrating fraction of a second with each and every edit (data transmission). Also, my file folders are clearly labeled so I know where to look for images if/when I need them in future.<br>

Disadvantages; Once the images are deleted from LR, it will be difficult to do any additional touch ups or editing if requested by a client. I would need to do the edit on the jpeg file, or reimport the raw file, etc. The other big disadvantage is that the catalog (see my comments below about terminology - not sure i'm using this term correctly) is living on my internal harddrive and I'm starting to run low on disk space.<br>

Complicating the issue is that I'm VERY unclear on some terminology used in the LR world, like "library", "catalog", "collection", "quick collection". I think any understanding of this issue on my part would begin with a solid understanding of what these terms mean.<br>

So here are my questions:</p>

<ul>

<li>Please define the terms library, catalog, collection using examples if possible.</li>

<li>If I wanted to use a more conventional file management approach which utilizes LR's functionality how would I do it? What would a more conventional workflow look like and what would be the advantages?</li>

<li>Perhaps most importantly, could I use one of my two 500 gb external hardrives as a location to which to import photos and have my whole workflow "live" there, rather than on my desktop where it is starting to consume memory resources? If so, what could I do to move data faster between the hard drive and the computer to avoid the transmission delay that occurs with every edit? Could I install firewire on an existing hard drive to speed this transmission? Or must I buy a faster external hard drive. </li>

</ul>

<p>I think for the first two, you will never get enough explanation from a forum. I highly recommend <em>The Missing Lightroom FAQ </em>by Victoria Bampton (The Lightroom Queen). It's available in hard copy and PDF and responds to your issues in depth.</p>

<p>For the third, it would be far better to use something other than your desktop. It would also mean that you keep everything in place in LR instead of removing it and then having to find it later if you need it. Also, it's much easier to use a top level folder, just something like "images" or whatever, because when you move everything to a bigger drive, it's really simple to point LR to the top level folder and have it find everything.</p>

<p>What kind of transmission delay occurs with every edit? It's text information. That's not something I have found to be a problem with external drives. </p>

<p>Also, you can create your backup while you import, you just point LR at the second drive. </p>

<p>There are two things you have to think about performance regarding external drives, one is drive speed and the other is interface. Avoid "green" drives for the working drive, they are usually slow, look for a 7200 drive with decent size cache. And for interface, Firewire 800 or eSATA is the best way to go. Once again, this is far more important for the working drive than the backup drive.</p>

<p>Overall what you do makes a lot of sense expect the part where you delete the images from LR! And I’d just start with a big, clean drive and dedicate it for all images and LR files (irdata, presets etc). Cloning that to other drives (for back up, to take on location), then cloning updated data back to this dedicated drive is easy and fast with a low cost or free sync utility. </p>

<p>Library: The data base that stores the location of the images (DAM) as well as much of the editing parameters unique to LR (Virtual Copies, Collections, etc). Metadata edits are stored either in XMP sidecar files, embedded into rendered images (TIFF, JPEG) or in DNG. </p>

<p>Collections. You use iTunes? Its a play list. You can have one image (song) residing in multiple collections (play lists). This way, images that reside in differing folders can also be “seen” and organized in one location outside of using a folder to find those images. Like a play list, you can have 10 albums and one location where 8 of your favorite songs from those 10 albums can be looked at. Smart Collections are vastly superior to “dumb” collections. The images populate in a SC based on actual criteria like keywords, metadata in the image (all 35mm lens) and so forth. Quick collection is just a temporary collection. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)