Tokina 12-24 f/4 ATX Pro, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 or Nikon 12-24 f/4 AF-S DX ?

orcama60

<p>Eric, thank you so much for all your post and your opinion based on your own experience, the same to you Nina, Paul, Shun and everybody else you participated in this thread to help me finally decide which lens to use for this upcoming event, in which I can and I should not take the risk to make a mess by using a lens that will not be that easy to use when photographing people as the lenses mentioned above. </p>

<p>For sure, after all your help, I made my decision to go with the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II on one camera and the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 on the other camera. I am just thinking that if I can not buy the 17-55, probably will be a good idea to rent the 24-70 f/2.8 so there will be no gap in between those two lenses, what do you think Eric ? Otherwise, I will stick with the 17-55. I also have the 35 f/1.8 and the 50 f/1.8 just in case I need to shoot without flash under low light conditions. Whit all those lenses, I am very sure I should not have any problem to shoot this wedding. </p>

<p>Perhaps in the future, I buy the Nikon 10-24 f/3.5 ( that Nina and Shun have pointed to be a good lens ) to have a wide-angle for occasional shooting and landscaping, and this something that I am not that interested to shoot at for the moment. Will concentrate to get the 17-55 or the 24-70 f/2.8. About this lens, the 24-70, beside it is a superb lens according to reviews, what do you guys think about using this lens on a DX camera like the D300 that I got to shoot a wedding? Do you recommended on the top of the 17-55 ?</p>

<p>Please advise !! </p>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>The 17-55 F/2.8 is the right one for the wedding. It will give you the wide angle you need where the 24 may be a bit confining. The missing 15 mm will be no big deal at all. Since you will not be carrying the UWA you will certainly want the wider lens for the wedding. </p>

<p>Well, Lee, as far as Ken Rockwell is concerned, I find much of what he writes to be rather scatological, contrary even, and quite often plain wrong.<br />But talking of acceding to a higher power, bear in mind that on any day of the week, outside the Nikon R&D facility, you will find a whole bunch of nuns and people in wheelchairs clustered against the perimeter fence because they've heard about the miracles being performed inside. God is in the glass!<br />It's also interesting to see just how many Kenko/Tokina 11-16s there are in the Yahoo auctions here in Japan, whilst the 10-24 Nikkor was temporarily out of stock at three of the four outlets I contacted. Maybe the Kenko/Tokina provided a useful stopgap until Nikon got their miracle act together but few here seem thrilled enough to hang onto it now there's a Nikkor that does the job and then some, any more than they'd choose a Kenko filter while there's a Marumi available.</p>

<p>maurice, 17-55+70-200 on DX is standard pro kit. it's kind of a boring call, but sometimes boring is good because there are no surprises that way. 24-70 is a superb lens and focus is so fast sometimes i have to do a double-take because i don't believe it could have acquired and locked focus that quickly. but...it will not be wide enough on DX for a wedding. if you go 24-70 with a DX body, which i don't recommend, you will most certainly need a 10-24 or 12-24, which will necessitate lens changes. if, OTOH, you stick to the tried-and-true, predictable and boring choice of 17-55+70-200, you will be shooting instead of switching, which means less missed shots, happy clients, and possible referrals.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>on any day of the week, outside the Nikon R&D facility, you will find a whole bunch of nuns and people in wheelchairs clustered against the perimeter fence because they've heard about the miracles being performed inside.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>LOL!</p>

<p> </p>