Lens for E620

bob_cook

<p>I'm considering picking up an Olympus E620 and the two kit lenses from a friend. I'll use it as a walk-around camera (I still use medium format film for most of my photography). I know that there are probably better choices from Panasonic or someone else, but I've settled on the E620. Now it is just about finding the best fixed focal length lens for normal use.<br>

What would you m4/3'ds folks recommend as a small lens with a 35 - 50 mm field of view (on traditional 35mm). I see that neither of the Olympus lenses, 17mm or 25mm, are rated as having good optical quality. Is there something else that might work better? I would consider manual focus or having to use an adapter.<br>

What about my 45mm Nikkor P that I use on an FM3a?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>The E620 is an excellent camera, and the two kit lenses are about as good as it gets at that price level.</p>

<p>First, forget the 17mm lens. It is only useable with the micro 4/3rd's (Pen) bodies. It will not work on any Olympus DSLR.</p>

<p>Wait until you get the outfit before buying more lenses. The 14-42 kit lens covers an equivalent 28-84mm and is very small and easy to use as a "normal" lens. The 25mm f2.8 Zuiko is better than most give it credit for, but f2.8 is a little slow for a prime lens. That's my biggest beaf with it. I do own it....it was too small and cute to not get, but I do not use it much.</p>

<p>The finder on the E620 is, for me, too dim and small to be able to effectively manually focus lenses. Wait until you see it for yourself before deciding to plunk more money down on manual focus lenses and adapters specifically for this body. It's just not a good setup for manual focus with my eyesight.</p>

<p>Greg - thanks for the quick response. I should have the outfit soon, so your advice to wait is well-taken. I should also correct my original post to remove the reference to the 45mm Nikkor. It would end up a 90mm in this format - much too long.</p>

<p>Note, you asked about m43rds people and the E-620. The E-620 is a standard (or classic as I tend to call it) DSLR. The micro 4/3rds (m43) cameras have a smaller lens mount, and need an adaptor to mount the classic 4/3rds lenses. Since you ordered the E-620, I will confine the answer to just classic 4/3rds.<br>

In terms of small lenses that autofocus for the E-620, lets see:</p>

<ul>

<li>The kit 14-42mm lens complements the E-620 quite well in terms of size and balance. It is a f/3.5-5.6 lens. The 40-150mm that comes in a dual lens kit also is fairly small.</li>

<li>The Olympus 25mm pancake is probably the lens you should look into. It is very small. It is f/2.8, so if you need faster aperture, you need to look elsewhere. A lot of people liked it on the E-4xx series camera, but IIRC, the lens does have some issues with flare (particularly since it doesn't come with a hood).</li>

<li>The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is perhaps a little longer than you want, and perhaps a little heavier, but it is a faster aperture. The common complaint of Sigma is it is subject to front/back focus, but the E-620 does offer adjustments you can make to deal with lenses that front/back focus. I have this lens, and use it on both my E-3 and micro 4/3rds E-P2 with adapter. On the smaller E-P2, it is a little nose heavy, but not too bad.</li>

<li>There is also a Sigma 24mm f/1.8 macro lens that is probably closer to the focal range you want, but it is a bit longer than the 30mm. A few years ago, I asked in some of the groups, and the 30mm came out recommended more often than the 24mm.</li>

<li>There is the Olympus 35mm f/3.5 macro lens, which is longer than you want, and perhaps slower, but it is fairly small and lightweight.</li>

<li>Finally, if you hunt around, you might find the Panasonic/Leica 25mm lens. A lot of people like this for a fast lens, but Panasonic doesn't seem to be interested in the classic 4/3rds lenses any more, and it can be hard to find (and if you do find it, it is expensive).</li>

</ul>

<p>If you want to see how a particular lens will look on your E-620, go to the 4/3rds matching body/lens simulation, which lets you look at what any body with any lens would look like (for giggles, look at the E-620 with the Sigma 300-800mm lens).<br /> http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/matching.html</p>

<p>I have the 25/2.8. There is slight barrel distortion, but then I do no architectural work and such distortion can be corrected in software anyway. I have not found flare to be a problem as I use the lens with a hood. I have the 35/3.5 also, and sometimes used it as a walk-about lens: but it really is a bit too long although it can serve as a decent portrait lens.</p>

• 4 weeks later...