DIY battery pack for Nikon SB-600s?

richard_dulkin

<p>I have 6 - Nikon SB-600s that I use for studio lighting and am extremely happy with them for output and versatility in the studio. The one draw back is battery changes. It is some what of a hassle in taking them out of each unit especially when they are in soft boxes or domes. What I would like to do is make up a battery back that has the 4 or, even better, 8 batteries (with a switch to select the group of four still charged up) and attach it to the SB-600s with a cord that has a separation jack in it. That way, all I have to do is plug the battery pack into the wire with the jack and hopefully it can power a unit. I realize that I would have to have 6 or them, or even more!<br>

Is this feasible? If so what would I have to do for DIY or ugh buy?</p>

<p>For studio use a well stabilized 6VDC power supply could be a solution.<br>

Unfortunately all of your 6 flashes are discharged at the same time, and start charging at the same time, thus calling for more instant power than needed on average.</p>

<p>You could possibly install a 6VDC lines of electricity just for your flashes, and work out sockets and plugs for them.</p>

<p>Unfortunately SB600 does not have any socket for an external power supply, so you will need to invent a way to feed the 6 VDC into each flash internal battery chamber, replacing the 4 AA batteries there.</p>

<p>While such a solution is possible and you could work out a project for this, better solution would be to replace 6 SB600 with 3 or 4 SB800 where a socket for high voltage external battery is already available.<br>

There was a commercial product as an external power supply for SB600 that was using a 6V DC rechargeable battery from a motorcycle. This device had a dummy pack like 4 AA that was installable inside SB600 with a cable going to the external battery. I do not remember the name or brand of it, however, I cannot imagine using 6 of those devices. One motorcycle battery charge could possibly last for all day shooting for one SB600.</p>

<p>It's a simple thing to do. You use two dummy AA's to connect the power supply. Then a 6V sealed lead acid battery to power the flash. SLA batteries are better (cheaper & more reliable) unless weight versus capacity is a major issue. Then you need to use a NiMh or LiIon battery. There are plenty of chargers for 6V SLA batteries and other types of battery packs as well. batteryspace.com have a bunch.</p>

<p>The flash will draw about 2A when it is recharging.</p>

<p>If you don't feel like DIY there are manufacturers out there like Al Jacobs - http://www.aljacobs.com/</p>

<p>PS. This type of battery pack simulates the AA's inside the flash. So they work on all types of 4 AA flashes - Nikon, Canon, Vivitar etc etc... You could google for examples like <a href="http://www.google.com/search?q=diy+flash+battery+pack">this</a>.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"For studio use a well stabilized 6VDC power supply could be a <a href="../photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00XsME" target="_blank">solution</a>"<br>

A well stabilized 6VDC power supply that is one that can maintain 6VDC output even under high current draw would certainly burn out the flash. When they designed the flash they count on the fact that the battery voltage would drop when the flash is turned on with the capacitor empty.</p>

<p>Perhaps BeBu is right. I thought about it but did not mention, since most of commercial brand flashes have some sort of charging current limiters.</p>

<p>Nikon fllashes have charging current limitters built in. Simple fllashes have current limitter in form of in-series small resistor (e.g. 0.5 Ohm/5Watts) that reduces max possible peak current drawn from 6 VDC to 12 Amps , and work under use of sizeable motorcycle lead acid 6 VDC batteries that can draw instant pulse of current in range of 40 Amps or more. The instant current draw will not get too high, and perhaps will not destroy the flash, unless used repetedly and overheated.</p>

<p>However, anything that is not Nikon recommended should not be taken lightly. Since this would be your studio project, you could install in series a resistor for each 6VDC socket for each fllash, a current limitting resistor of 0.5 to 1 Ohm, and rated from 2 to 5 Watts of heat dissipation.</p>

<p>Thanks all so far. What I had in mind was something simpler. Inside the battery chambers are dummy batteries with a cord leading out of the camber with a male connector on the end. Battery packs of 4 or 8 batteries that are wired up with a cord that has a female end. When a battery pack runs out of juice, I simple unplug it and plug in a fresh battery pack of 4 rechargeable 4 AA batteries. Is this feasable? Will a cord be able to carry the charge?<br>

Remember KISS for WW2 = Keep it simple stupid!</p>

<p>Richard, it's the same thing as I mentioned above. Just put your rechargables in an 4 AA battery holder. A thicker cord means less loss in the cable so thicker is better.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that you will get many more pops and keep recycling at the same speed for much longer using 8 batteries arranged as 2x4 than you will by using one set of four and then replacing them with another set. Just make sure that all 8 are fresh when you put them in.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>I was looking for a suitable high voltage pack for my hand held flashgun, after my Quantum Turbo died of old age (circuit inside got corroded) . I love turbos but they are frightfully expensive in India. Actually, by adding 25% more to its price, one can buy a 1200ws power pack with 2 heads.<br /><br />After reading many a discussion threads here on Flickr and other sites, I decided to do my own bit of tinkering.<br /><br />So, here it is...<br /><br />Yongnuo SF-18 (8 cells) pack for Nikon SB-800 modified to accept 8v 3.2AmpHr SLA battery.<br /><br />This can be done to similar type battery packs from Nikon / Canon and/or other suppliers.<br /><br />As for the battery, do not go more than 9.6v for safe cruising, or else you might end up with a burned pack.<br /><br />Flash set to Manual full power - this set up recycles as fast as the Qunatum Turbo I had.<br />In other modes its blazing.<br /><br />Follow the images for instructions.<br /><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunofjoy/sets/72157629224576376/">www.flickr.com/photos/sunofjoy/sets/72157629224576376/</a><br /><br />Have fun. </p>

<p>I was looking for a suitable high voltage pack for my hand held flashgun, after my Quantum Turbo died of old age (circuit inside got corroded) . I love turbos but they are frightfully expensive in India. Actually, by adding 25% more to its price, one can buy a 1200ws power pack with 2 heads.<br /><br />After reading many a discussion threads here on Flickr and other sites, I decided to do my own bit of tinkering.<br /><br />So, here it is...<br /><br />Yongnuo SF-18 (8 cells) pack for Nikon SB-800 modified to accept 8v 3.2AmpHr SLA battery.<br /><br />This can be done to similar type battery packs from Nikon / Canon and/or other suppliers.<br /><br />As for the battery, do not go more than 9.6v for safe cruising, or else you might end up with a burned pack.<br /><br />Flash set to Manual full power - this set up recycles as fast as the Qunatum Turbo I had.<br />In other modes its blazing.<br /><br />Follow the images for instructions.<br /><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunofjoy/sets/72157629224576376/">www.flickr.com/photos/sunofjoy/sets/72157629224576376/</a><br /><br />Have fun. </p>

Thanks Pete S. I am now thinking I could buy and use the Quantum xk6 cable made for the SB-600 with

its two dummy batteries, extend the cord to a battery holder pack for the 4xAA batteries I would normally

put in the strobe itself. Now how do I wire up 2 x (4xAA) together? Series or Parallel? This seems doable

for an electrical dummy like me.

Richard