Separate camera lens/body

<p>I've already told you were you can get a retrofocus wide angle lens with 3 inches between the lens and sensor... a Pentax 67 lens.<br>

I've spent several years putting together teleconverters to make 35mm lenses work on medium format cameras. It IS possible to project a cropped image circle onto a larger format by refocusing the image using a teleconverter. But you want a non-cropped image to be translated from the lens to the sensor with no projection and with 3 inches of "air" between the camera and lens? If the 3 inches was filled entirely with a prism as John suggests it might be possible... but there will probably end up being issues with the mirror as wide-angle lenses typically BARELY clear the mirror with their back-focus. </p>

<p>If it can be more than 3in. then using an telescope eyepiece to project the lens aerial image into the camera should work. You would want a 1:1 projection. That would mean a 25mm FL eyepiece would be about 2in. from of the camera sensor and 2in from the image plane of the lens. No, that might be too close to the camera and foul the mirror movement. Better look for a longer eyepiece, about 35mm FL should be safe. Now this is going to be a larger gap between body and lens, between 6 and 8 inches I would guess. You would have to fabricate some kind of mounting to hold everthing in alignment. Unless the eyepiece is of good quality, read expensive, there will be a fair amount of falloff toward the corners of the frame and sharpness will suffer regardless.</p>

• 2 months later...