Nikon and SB-400

liah_glask

<p>liah, you CAN use an off-brand cheap slave flash as 2nd flash, but i wouldn't recommend it. what you can also do with 600 is use pop-up flash to trigger off-camera flash in CLS. honestly, 600 is not cost-prohibitive, relatively speaking. 2 or 3 of them can give you lighting capabilities equivalent to much bigger/heavier/expensive units.</p>

<p>It would really be helpful to know exactly what you are going to be shooting and the lighting you are trying to achieve. While a D90 will trigger the SB-600, Nikon offers the SB-800/SB-900 series flashes that can work as 'Master' flashes to trigger other flashes. You can also invest in an SU-800 that will trigger other flashes without an annoying pre-flash. The SU-800 also gives extended trigger range.</p>

<p>If you are shooting indoors, you can also get a studio light kit which would be quite economical and possibly preferable over a multiple flash system. </p>

<p>Again, without knowing what you want to shoot and your budget, it is difficult to know what will work best. You certainly will not go wrong with a D90 and the SB-600. </p>

<p>You guys are simply great and your advice makes me more and more confident.thanks to you all.</p>

<p>@Elliot Bernstein: Here's what I want to shoot:<br>

1) Indoor and outdoor portraits<br>

2) Good landscapes<br>

3) People photography<br>

4) then some photographic gimmicks like Smoke, Water drops, insects(macro), hdr, long exposures etc.<br>

Not planning to do sports and wildlife photography.</p>

<p>For indoor portraits, i would like to use white background. Want to use my SB-600 on one side and another SB-600(or a cheap flash) on the other side(or backside) of the subject. MOST PROBABLY I WILL USE ONLY MY SB-600 ALONE OR AT THE MAXIMUM TWO FLASHES, NOT BEYOND THAT.<br>

Now another doubt came into my mind is, is my D90 or SB-600 capable of controlling one more additional flash at the same time?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>is my D90 or SB-600 capable of controlling one more additional flash at the same time?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The D90 is, but SB-600 is not.</p>

<p>Among Nikon i-TTL flashes, the SB-700, SB-800, and SB-900 can work as the master or slave. The SB-600 can only be a slave. The SB-R200 can also be a slave only while the SB-400 can neither be a master nor a slave.</p>