Shoot Portraits RB/RZ 67 or Bronica SQ A

dennis_mansour1

<p>I am trying to decide which MF camera to buy( realized I dont NEED AF ) to use for my Portraits.<br>

I want something reasonable since I will be shooting portraits pretty much. I want a camera that has a bright screen easy to focus manually and either 6x6 or 6x7 format. My budget is appr. 800.00 I realized I do not need AF. Thank you, rollsman</p>

<p>Either will do the business. I think it comes down to personal preference, so a case of try before you buy if possible.<br>

As a long time Hasselblad user I would go for the SQA but I am sure other posters will have their own strong preference for the RB/RZ series.<br>

Paul</p>

<p>I would generally agree with Paul - as an SQA user, I can tell you it has a decently bright screen and very good optics, but there again, that's true of most medium format cameras.<br />However, if you're using the camera in a studio situation on a tripod, then the extra weight and bulk of an RB/RZ isn't an issue, so this could well be the better choice. The rotating back and 6x7 aspect ratio makes it a good choice for portraiture.</p>

<p>I'd go for the RB/RZ 67 if I were you, and that's coming from someone who has a square format Hasselblad. The 6x7 aspect ratio allows you to use much more of the negative to make conventionally proportioned prints. If you want to print square, you won't need to crop much from a 6x7 negative either. You don't need AF. With rare exception, you can't get AF with 6x6 or 6x7 cameras. I think Rollie might have an AF camera in that format, but from everything I've read, the cameras are not too dependable and very expensive. </p>

<p>I agree with the format issue. I shoot both square and 6x6 format, if I were to choose one for portraiture, it`d be 6x7.<br /> RB or RZ? If you are shooting a lot, undoubtedly the RZ. That half speed stops are extremely useful for bellows extension compensation adjustments.<br /> Don`t know about the screen brightness, I`d not say is the brightest I have used...</p>

<p>The nice thing about the Bronica SQ-Ai for portraiture is using it with a Quantum Instruments flash system with the Special Quantum Instruments/Bronica SQ-Ai TTL cord in TTL mode.</p>

<p>I found the exposure is nearly perfect every time - even on transparencies - and the results are beautiful.</p>

<p>SQ-A if you need mobility.<br>

RB is you are staying in one spot. The rotating back and the lack of battery are the biggest advantages, as well as the 6x7 format.<br>

If you want the mobility of the SQ-A and 6x7 format check out the Bronica GS-1. I think it's actually lighter than the SQ-A.</p>