What's in your wedding-day camera bag?

hurstphotography

<p>Dave - it's light, pleasurable to use, and I can work just a few feet away with no one noticing or caring. It's also quiet enough that I can fire it in the middle of a hushed ceremony and everyone is oblivious.</p>

<p>With a high capacity card and a couple of spare batteries in my pocket, it's all I need. Extra lenses fit in pockets or a small bag. It's also made a real difference to my comfort. I used to get hand and wrist ache from holding a D700+24-70 for ten hours, but I can use the M9 all day and night and don't even notice. One reason why bandages and painkillers don't feature in my kit list.</p>

<p>Actually, Gary (above) is the one who convinced me about the M9. I've been a Leica user for years and have always shot an MP at weddings, but problems I encountered with the M8 put me off trying the M9. It was on his recommendation and after he showed me the image quality that I ordered one. Alongside my MP it lets me shoot film, digital or both while keeping the same approach to working distance, perspective and framing.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Neil, There is a reason for everything - sure thing.<br />Most of my reasons are quite valid, in the sense that they serve a Photographic purpose to some extent, but also address my style of working; my reliance on rapport and involvement; and my moderate control of the Portraiture sessions; but a few things remain “just in case”.</p>

<p>You correctly nailed <em>the ruler </em>– it is there mainly when I use extension tubes. (I listed my set of extension tubes as “3 rings” - I think you might have misssed that). But I hinestly do nktb think I have used the ruke at a Wedding for amacro shot.<br />The steel rule takes up very little space and is part of the gear which sits in the flap, with the notepad and pens etc, so whilst the tubes might be packed and unpacked the steel ruler stays in all the time.<br />I also have a macro lens, which might be packed, instead of the extension tubes – but again it comes and goes and is not part of the basic kit. As an example, I could use the extension tubes on a 50mm for a “Wedding Ring Shot”. <br />The steel rule is used just as a straight edge also, for making a quick diagram as I am a pen and paper note taker. <br />But the rule serves other purposes outside Weddings, for example to be included in shot for a size analysis.</p>

<p><em>The tape measure</em> is a standard item I carry always and it takes up little room – rarely used at Weddings, but perhaps has come in handy only a few times, mainly to double check DoF markers prior to a posed group shot in tight environs (Family Home for example).</p>

<p>Other tit-bits:<br /><em></em><br /><em>Clear nail polish</em> – fixes ladders in Women’s Hosiery.<br /><em></em><br /><em>Sewing kit, string, safety pins, cable ties, small tool kit, penknife, GAF tape, first aid kit</em> – all repair uses, most often used for the Bridal Party Accidents, and mainly for the Formal set of Photographs. (Stone Mason’s string is just very strong – that’s why it was stipulated)<br /><br /><em>Large Garbage Bags and GAF tape</em> – Two Man Purposes: my weather proof kit; also my “shoot through windows and black out the reflections kit”<br /><em></em><br /><em>Carabineers; cable ties; string</em> – are safety straps for camera or flash.<br />And to creatively hang things: like the suspended champagne flutes – I have to be doing something whilst the guest were munching. Cable ties are also good if one needs to make a citizens’ arrest or restrict the Page Boy from getting lost . . . again.<br /><em></em><br /><em>The spirit level (mini); compass; spare car key; spare cash; spare watch</em> - are just there, because I don’t take them out.<br /><em></em><br /><em>White Handkerchiefs</em> are marketing tools mostly, like my business card strategy you have comments upon previously.<br /><em></em><br /><em>Tissues</em> - are more practical they are used to clean stuff and also wipe away tears.<br /><em></em><br /><em>Bean Bag (small, the type for resting the wrist on when typing)</em> - is the lazy tripod. <br /><em></em><br /><em>Paddle pop sticks</em> - useful as wedges for the cake shot (and similar inanimate shots) to stack elements on a slight angle etc, to allow the best shooting angle, especially if I am using window light.<br />Also Paddle Pop sticks are useful to explain to the Uncle Bob Photographer “inquisitive type” when I am asked why I carry them . . . I have been known to comment that they inhibit the Pop Up Flash (which is true) and this is so I can shoot creatively without flash. When explaining this to Aunt Mary one has to make sure the Mode Dial is moved to the Green Rectangle. Then the demonstration can be given. A piece of Paddle Pop Stick is inserted into the Flash Hot-shoe (camera left) and the camera thinks a Flash is on board so the PuF is not activated – it is so much fun to do that demonstration.<br /><em></em><br /><em>Water bottle, Protein Bars, Electrolyte</em> are for my consumption – the <em>painkillers</em> are rarely used, but handy for the very occasional headache. The <em>earplugs</em> because I want to be able to hear the high harmonics when I am 70 and some DJ’s don’t understand that.</p>

<p>I don't think I have missed anything. Basically I made the original list knowing the lenses I used and then by dumping the contents of the two flap sections of the bag on the kitchen table and listing everything that fell out . . . there were some old parking station receipts, also.<br>

I missed the Grey Card in the original list and the Sekonic has its own case, usually on my belt</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Nikon D90 (Main)<br>

Nikon D70 (Back up)<br>

Minolta Maxxum 7 (Film Back up) (Maxxum 50 1.7)<br>

Nikon 50 1.8 (Getting Ready Shots, Reception)<br>

Nikon 17-55 2.8 (On the D90 75% of the time)<br>

Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRI (Ceremony, Portraits, and Reception (it helps put catch natural expressions since you can stand back from the crowd)<br>

Lensbaby Muse w/Close-up Attachments (Reception and close ups of the rings etc.)<br>

SB-900, SB-800<br>

Nikon 18-70 3.5-5.6 (Back up)<br>

Polaris Incident/Reflected light meter (only for tricky situations)</p>

<p>a 5DII and 2x 5D classics.</p>

<p>I like the 24 f/1.4, 35 f/1.4and 85 f/1.2 best. 50mm would be a popular lens for me but I have not found a good one for Canon. The Sigma 50 f/1.4 is actually more like a f/1.6 lens (learned the hard way).</p>

<p>Besides my main three lenses I use for most things, I also use a 16-35L II, 135L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS, and a 15 fisheye, plus 3 580EX flashes with battery packs, 4 sunpak 383s, and some other stuff.</p>

<p>It took me about 2 years to assemble that kit. What I currently want most of all is a good 50mm lens for Canon, and to replace my sunpaks with an all 580ex flash set for faster recycle times.</p>

<p>I only use the 70-200 for churches. I would probably trade it for a 300 f/2.8 IS because it would serve the identical purpose while giving more reach.</p>

<p>If I was recreating my kit, I would probably go 24L, 35L, 85L, 300 f/2.8L IS, and 15mm fisheye. The 16-35 does come in handy for a few things (bouquet toss, environmental shots), but I think that overall I like other lenses better.</p>

<p>Bill, thanks for sharing your thinking and preparation. I knew it would all have a purpose, consistent with your usual planning. Yes, I missed your extension tubes - when you said 3xrings, I was thinking step-up rings. Looking at your preparation, I think it would be instructive to work with you one day, as your approach is likely very different to mine.</p>

<p>You are very welome.<br>

Oh yes, indeed. I have it well planned that if I get to London again I shall share more than tea and cucumber sandwiches with you.<br>

I have lots more to learn also, from your different approach. The "tell a story in six frames" lesson has been a real winner for me - I don't apply it to Weddings at all, but very useful, productive, exciting and rewarding for another tangent to my work. <br>

I think our emphasis and the time we spend on and for the Client (customer) and their satisfaction is common, however.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Initially similar to Neal's bag:</p>

<p>Standard: Two Leica M9s, 21/1.4, 28/2, 50/0.95 <strong>OR</strong> 21/1.4, 35/1.4 and 75/1.4 (usually 3 lenses, not all of them) ... and a SF24D flash that I can't remember last using ... but the minute I don't have it is when I'll need it. This all fits in a small shoulder bag with spare batteries and SD cards. Also, a Sony A900 and 24-70 for action shots ... occasionally a Sony A900 with a 70-200/2.8 in the balcony of the church ... which my second shooter operates ... I've never actually used this set-up myself ... it stays in the car after the ceremony.</p>

<p>Supplemental depending on the wedding, certain client expectations or requests, and my ideas for certain images:</p>

<p>Sony A900 & a selection of Zeiss primes for the reception action, <strong>or</strong> occasionally a Medium Format digital camera for spectacular environmental portraits to be printed 20" X 30". Never everything all at once, mostly staged out of the vehicle a bit at a time.</p>

<p>Recently picked up a Leica S2 and three lenses for commercial work (and paid for with commercial work), so for weddings, I'll probably chuck everything above except the Leica M stuff and just use the S2 for AF work and portraits where needed. Very quiet camera BTW. </p>