1.4V Zinc/Air Battery - Gone Crazy?

<p> Well, the plot tickens.<br>

I've now got another two 6-packs of supposed 1.45V Zinc/Air batteries from a different shop (but the same manufacturer, who apparently has sort of a monopoly here in Germany) and you guess the results. My V-meter reads 1.18V, and my cameras refuse to work with them.<br>

I should specify that I bought all of this series of battery packs from shops, that belong to a manufacturer of hearing aids, who also produces the batteries for them. So, these shops are not simply retailers, but rather part of the manufacturing company.<br>

Something rather weird happened when I bought these two last packs. I did check carefully the expiry date (late 2012), and casually told the shopkeeper I had to be sure that the batteries actually delivered 1.45V. He reacted rather angrily, claiming they don't sell expired batteries (which I did not suggest or imply in the first place), and stating that I could not test these batteries with a "normal" V-meter because "these are Zinc/Air and need a special meter" (!?!?!??)<br>

I now tend to suspect that this manufacturer deliberately and knowingly produces and sell batteries delivering 1.18V rather than 1.45V, in order to shorten their useful live and thus trick people who need hearing aids into buying more batteries. I intend to file a formal complaint with the German Consumers Protection Office, but in the meantime - could perhaps someone here be so kind and send ma a pack of "US standard" 1.45V 675 batteries? I would of course cover all expenses. Thanks<br>

My email is: <a href="mailto:eziobonsignore@gmx.de">eziobonsignore@gmx.de</a><br>

f</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I recently bought a set of 675 batteries from Costco. It's a pack of thirty batteries -- three cards of 10. They are rated at 1.4v. I doubt very much I'll be able to use all of them before their 6/01/14 expiry date. I'd be happy to send you a card of 10 batteries. The 30-pack cost me about $11US, so a card of 10 would be about $3.67 plus postage. I'm willing to part with both of the extra cards of 10 batteries. I reckon that a single card will be all I need to power my Canon F-1 and FTb for years to come. I got better than 8 months life out of my last 675 battery in my F-1.</p>

<p>Let me know if you still need some.</p>