which lens is the best portrait lens?

gary_brown2

A 90 Elmarit or Tele-Elmarit would certainly be a nice choice. The TE is so compact, and I think less intimidating to the subject; as well as easier to have along. The 75 Lux seems like overkill, unless the portraits will be in dark restaurants, or you wanted to exploit the shallow DOF in your work.

First off, the above mentioned "wrong forum" 105 f/2.5 Nikkor is a great portrait lens which got it's start to fame with American photographers because it was made in Leica mount!

I like the 90mm original long chrome Elmarit. How can that lens be intimidating? The subject is only seeing the end of the same hood that fits the shorter Tele-Elmmarit, or the 135 Hektor, Elmar or Tele-Elmar.

I also like my Leica mount 85mm f/2 Nikkor, a much under rated optic. My all time favorite was fitted to my Visoflex IIs, a 150mm f/2.3 Astro Tachar. When it came to photographing a nice tight BIG HEAD picture this lens was gorgeous. It dissapeared during a break-in in '85, and they're really hard to find.

When making portraits, my lens choice is dictated by "how" I want to represent the subject. I should state that a lot of my portraits are not just classic head shots. I try to include some element or behaviour that adds to the character of the subject. Frequently, the lens ends up being a W/A rather than tele. My best recent portrait was using M6+35mm/f2.0. However, I lust after the Noctilux as it does have such a distinctive "footprint" that I really would like to use.

There really is no one lens that's suitable for every face when doing head

and shoulder shots. I once did formal portraits of an entire company's

key employees, and used just about everything I owned. Heavier, full

faced people looked way better using a 35mm from a slightly higher

vantage point. It emphasized their eyes while down playing their wider

lower face. For some portraits I've even used a Contax 350/4 APO on a

645, which close focuses down to fill the frame with the head. My

personal favorites are the Contax 645 140/2.8 and 180 Soft Focus on a

Mimiya RZ Pro II ( based on the Imagon type lens with different inserts

to vary softness).

I guess the standard Leica M solution could be either the 75 or 90.

However, I think the 90AA is to brutally sharp for most womens' faces

unless you gauss or filter the lens.

My favourite lens for indoor portraits (avallable light) is the

Summicron 50 wide open or just a little stopped down. (If light is

very poor my CV 50/1.5 Nokton does a great job.) Second

favourite lenses are the Summilux 75 and the AF-Nikkor 85/1.4.

I've been using the Cosina Voigtlander 75/2.5 quite a bit lately. It is very much a 'portrait' length, and is conveniently small and light, only slightly bigger than the 50 Summicron if you put them side by side without lens hoods. It has edged out my 90 Elmarit M.

It is also an inexpensive way, especially used, to find out whether you can make do with 75, rather than 90 for this length.