hi please advise me

geraint_hughes

<p>Hi im a wedding, portrait, school photographer and im upgrading in the next few days to the 5d mark 2, this comes with the canon 24-105 f4 IS lens. I have to sell one of my cameras to get some money back but dont know which one? ive got a 50d and a 40d.the lens i have are as follows a canon 70-200 2.8 L IS , a Tamron 17-50 2.8, and a canon 50mm 1.8.now ive been told that the tamron cant be used on the 5d which is a shame as i love the lens.now money is going to be tight but i will have to replace this lens with something for the 5d in focal legnth but which lens do you think at a good price?.im concentrating more for the Wedding side of things and portraits.But also dont know which camera to keep the 50d or the 40d?<br /><br>

thx so much if you can help and advise.<br>

Mr Hughes<br /><br>

<br /></p>

<p>If you only need to sell a body then I would suggest the 40D, keeping the Tamron for your 50D. The 5DII can use the two L's plus the prime. I find the 24-105 works well on the 5DII in low light at ISOs such as 3200 with available light. You can always use the prime if you want more speed. That's what I do.</p>

<p>Cheers, Bob</p>

<p>Won't the focal length of the 24-105 on the 5DMarkII be very similiar to the 17-50 Tamron on your 40d or 50d because of the 1.6 crop factor and sensor size?</p>

<p>24mm was considered a wide angle lens in the ol' days of film and/or Full Frame.</p>

<p>As James said, the 24-105 will largely replace your Tamron 17-50. You probably won't need to buy another lens.</p>

<p>I looked at KEH's prices and the 40D is going for $465-$600, the 50D for $750-$820. In a personal sale they will bring less than that. But you can expect to get maybe $100-200 more for the 50D than you will for the 40D. Personally I'd probably keep the 50D, since the 40D is still bringing a pretty good price.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Won't the focal length of the 24-105 on the 5DMarkII be very similiar to the 17-50 Tamron on your 40d or 50d because of the 1.6 crop factor and sensor size?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It is. Which means that if the 70-200 is on the 5D2, and the 17-50 on the 40D/50D, you have (in 35mm FOV terms) 24mm to 200mm covered without changing lenses. </p>

<p>As for the 40D or 50D, keep the one that give you the best results, unless you need the most money, then it's the 50D.</p>

<p>On the 5D2, both the 24-105mm and the 70-200mm are excellent portrait and wedding lenses. At a wedding you probably want to keep a wide lens on one body and the 70-200mm on the other body. If you're happy with your Tamron, then use it on the xxD and the 70-200mm on the 5D2. For portraits, where you don't need to be as quick with you switches, then use the 5D2 all the time.</p>

<p>As soon as you get the 5D2, check it out at ISO 6400. I'm getting incredible results when I use a little +EV (expose to the right of the histogram) and then process with DxO's Optics Pro 6.5.1. Other softwares are also good, but if yours doesn't almost totally eliminates noise, then try DxO on a free trial. (Use the "High ISO" preset and then adjust. Shoot RAW, of course). It's amazing at noise reduction AND it'll correct for the geometric errors in your zoom lens, elevating their preformance up to prime level, particularly the 70-200mm. Corrected vs. non-corrected the 24-105mm, particularly at the wide end, the differences are amazing. I've got a prime 500mm, but no real itch for primes in the 24 through 200mm range of focal lengths.</p>