What WA lens to choose for 4x5?

janko_belaj

<p>(as 1st, sorry on clumsy english)</p>

<p></p>

<p>I'm relatively new in buying equipment for LF system (I bought one Sinar F1 few months

ago) but I know something about LF photography and I know what I'm looking for... just don't

know all what I can found around.</p>

<p>I would like to buy some moderate WA lens for nature and architectural photography.

Should be inexpensive and should have some movement space (20-30-40mm?). Copal or

Compur shutter. For my professional work (tabletop) I'm using new Rodenstock 135 Sironar

lens (not mine, but just borrowed from the store... sound silly, but is true:)), and for my pleasure

in nature I have recently bought one old Schneider Symmar 135/235 (just can't afford something

happen to borrowed lens).</p>

<p>btw, I leave in small European country where we don't have big photo market so testing

lenses before buying is out of question... unfortunately. I believe I will buy some lens on

ebay.</p>

<p></p>

<p>Well, my question is - what would you (as a people of experience in many photographic

fields) recommend me to seek for. I don't need very large aperture (8 might be just fine), image

circle size of some 190-210mm on f22 would be great. Right now I can't afford myself lens

which will need center filter. I'm thinking on some Super Angulon (like 75mm f1:5.6 mentioned

here few days ago - 198mm circle @ f16), or some 90mm lens (Super Angulon f1:8 has circle

od 216 @f16). Or to try to find some even cheaper lens? Oh yes, one more think - I'm working

with slides, but for my own pleasure I'm shuting b&w films and mostly ortho emulsions, so

multicoating isn't that important.</p>

<p></p>

<p>Tnx in advice,</p>

<p>Janko.</p>

<p></p>

<p>P.S. when spring will come, I will ask similar question about telephoto/macro lens ;))</p>

Janko,

Welcome to LF photography!

If you have not already found it have a look at :

www.largeformatphotography.info

This has lots of useful information about LF and some good advice on new / old (classic) (cheaper!) lenses.

If single coating will do and you need a reasonable image circle probably your best for price/performance will be a Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f/8. (The Angulon f/6.8 would probably be ok for landscape if you do not use much movemement but not for architecture as the outer image circle is not really sharp enough). There are lots of Super Angulons about on ebay and they are quite reasonable. I would suggest an older single coated one but avoid the small compur #00 shutter versions. They are a pain. The older Symmar you are using is usually an excellent lens.

If you are going to do a lot of color work it might be better to think in terms of multicoated lenses from the outset. I find single coated lenses tend to give slightly 'cold' colors but that may not be an issue with you.

good luck!

A moderate wide-angle lens in the range that you are looking for is a 120mm Super Angulon or a 121mm Super Angulon (both f8), the latter being the single coated-version. This is about a 35mm lens for 35mm cameras.

The most used wide-angle lens in architectural photography is the 90mm Super Angulon f5.6. Rodenstock and Nikon have their own counterparts, both excellent optics.

<p>Tnx to all for your help, answers and corrections.</p>

<p>And yes Neils, I have made some wrong "translations" from smaller formats to 4x5 but now

I see that 90mm is closer to "fine" wide angle lens than to moderate wa lens.</p>

<p>Anyway, I believe I will start seeking for some cheap Super Angulon... This Sinar I bought

is the first new-out-of-box camera I own (after the very first my father gave me some 20 or so

years ago) so I *WANT & WILL* buy new lenses for that system, but when? I have to learn to

use it in first (indeed it is easyer and funnier than was in school) so give myself 6 months to do

that. Just happen that the 3th shoot came out as commercial one and for that money I wont

some more lenses ;))</p>

<p>btw, Colin, that my old 135 Symmar happen to be really fine lens. I have made some

b&w shots with it, and yesterday (after your post) I decided to make comparation with new

Rodenstock on color slide... hura! :))) The shot with Symmar is just a little bit yellower, but just... I

will put it on the scan on monday and I may bet that the difference will be in less than a 3% on

white paper. I couldn't found big difference in sharpness with my magnifier so I will need a huge

scan to see the details.</p>

<p></p>

<p>again, sorry on my clumsy english, tnx to any1 and have a good light.</p>

<p>Janko</p>