interacting with models in a studio (strict direction or 'let them free')?

kevin_flossner

<p>Hello everyone (I've just joined photo.net after lurking for too long).<br>

I am a relatively experienced amateur who, after quite a few years spent doing landscape, travel, some street and whatnot, is getting more interested in the human subjects (errm, am I shy? Yes :-)<br>

In about two weeks I'll be going to a studio shoot. I've been at studio workshops in the past so technically I can manage the likely lighting setup (up to two lights).<br>

What I'm not very sure about is how to interact with models (females, but not nudes). Apart from treating them professionally and being aware to build and maintain rapport, should I provide minute directions (which I'm not really experienced with) or let them express themselves and provide minimal instructions? I expect the models themselves to be relative beginners, otherwise they'd go to more advanced photographers.<br>

I should probably check one of those Amherst books, but I often find the advice on this forum to be better.<br>

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,<br>

Kevin</p>

<p>Well, believe it or not, it's very much down to the individual model. I've worked with professional models who could not pose to save their lives and I've worked with complete amateurs who simply had it! There have been times when I, not only had to direct them down to the last detail, but I even had to demostrate the exact poses I was looking for (and let me tell you, seeing ME demostrate sexy or provocative shots is a MUST for anyone suffering from depression - they'd seriously get over it in seconds!!!)</p>

<p>What I'm trying to say is that you will see and judge for yourself right there and then. Direction is nothing that can actually be taught - you simply have to discover what form of expression works for you, what is easier and more direct for you. Remember, you're there to work and not to make social contacts, so sometimes a more clinical approach is not necessarily bad.</p>

<p>Remember to enter the shoot knowing what you want from the shoot. Knowing which expressions you need and the rest will come. Of course, you can have some shots or poses as reference on your laptop (or even printed) - sometimes they help and other they become a hindrance (some models try too hard to mimic the pose you show them and if it doesn't work for them, then things become problematic...)</p>

<p>Above all, be relaxed and confident. Even the most inexperienced model responds differently to a confident person. Oh, and something else: you CAN pose models by touching them and manipulating their positions, but be careful to always ask for their permission (something like "I'm going to touch your shoulders now IF that's okay" or "CAN I come over and show you what I mean?") and be gentle and reserved.</p>

<p>This type of shoot is where "Lock & Load" needs to be heeded.<br>

In other words, preparation is paramount.</p>

<p>There are a few ways to photograph models, but the most important is to deliver what the client wants.</p>

<p>Too many dynamics to cover all the possibilities, so if I were you, this is what I would do.</p>

<p><strong>Script everything!</strong><br>

Have a shot list.<strong><br /></strong><br>

Show the model what you're after in other photos.<br>

Do the pose yourself to illustrate.<br>

I've let models photograph me doing poses that do not lend themselves well to the male anatomy :)...The laughter of the moment will relax everybody which in turn gets you the best shots.</p>

<p>Break the shoot down into "<strong>mini-shoots</strong>". In other words, perhaps you are shooting a happy go lucky, fun natural shot. Let the model know this. This is pretty much a free for all as the model does what she wants and you click away.</p>

<p>Now take a 5 min break....</p>

<p>Your next "mini-shoot" might be a more sensual image. Talk it over with her, show her a few shots of what you're after.</p>

<p>Breaking down the session into "mini-shoots" works well. I've photographed many models and yet have found one who can transition from crazy & wild to serious in just a few seconds.</p>

<p>Mini-shoots also help the model because modeling is hard work...give 'em a break.</p>

<p>During the more formal shots, it's almost mandatory that you position the model.<br>

We all know that what might (feel) positionally (naturally) comfortable to the model does not translate well to the final image.</p>

<p>Some of the things like slight turns or tips of the head, wher the eyes are looking and other such details often require direction so you should practice with someone ahead of time. Like already said, some models do really well expressing themselves during a shoot, others are in need of quality direction. Have a basic goal in mind and a fair idea of what types of poses and "looks" you want to work with and go from there. Enjoy!</p>

<p>My experience is that it does not work to put somebody in front of your camera and hope for the best. It's better if you have some kind of a clue, especially if you want something more in the direction of 'fashion' as opposed to 'portrait'. People need direction, at least if they have no experience in front of the camera, and they will look to you to tell them what to do.</p>

<p>It is important to go in with a plan, then expect to deviate from it. You have to know generally what you are trying to accomplish and then, depending on the model, provide direction to get the images you want. You will also find that the more experience the model has the less specific direction they will need. The key is to be flexible and listen to your subject, they might have some interesting ideas.</p>

<p>Regardless of plan or not you still have your question: strict direction or let them be free?</p>

<p>I can't stress enough that you should not get caught up only doing "strict direction". If you do, each shoot will seem canned and redone. Unless you happen to not only be a photographer but a creative, posing genius, it's a bad idea. Each model can bring their special something.</p>

<p>However.... that being said, I've had to be very literal on occasion. Sometimes they just do not understand the goal.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I know I'm late to the conversation and your shoot has already taken place, I'll offer this advice to others who may stumble across this thread:<br />* Don't run and gun - have a plan, I've never shot a model without some concept or idea of the shoot that we both agree on and have planned wardrobe, props etc to make the image work<br />* Take different shots, not multiples of the same shot. Very little movement on the model's part can create uniquely different feels. For example from the same position have the model look up, look down, open their eyes, close their eyes, move their hands up, down etc.<br />* Give the model frequent breaks especially if she's holding a pose while you chimp or change settings - say something like that's great, relax a second when you're done then help direct her. Experienced models will instinctively do minor variations for you to capture. <br />* Show the model an image frequently and comment on what's working well to help her keep her confidence up and get her excited about the final image.</p>