Full frame: Nikon vs. Canon

pbm_h

Forgive my stupid question as I'm a newbie but why does the Nikon full frame cost way more than Canon's?

Thanks.

<hr>

<i>Mod note: Moved from Beginner Forum so, please, patience. But the Beginner Forum isn't the ideal venue for equipment-specific questions or "versus" type posts.</i>

<p>I just went shopping (it only took a few clicks to answer your question). The Canon 5DMKII costs <em>more</em> than Nikon's D700. <br /><br />Of course, there's more than just price that differentiates them - they have different features aimed at different kinds of users. Or were you talking about other bodies/models? You also have to consider lenses, flash units, and many other variables, since the camera alone doesn't help much. A hundred bucks one way or another is nothing when looking at the big picture. Regardless, price shouldn't be what drives your thought process on something like that. Suitability to the task, ergonomics you prefer (which you can only determine from personally handling each camera), compatibility with your other gear, etc... that's what matters, or should. Both make great equipment and are very competitive.</p>

The D3 has a vertical grip and a larger battery built in. The D3's shutter has a longer lifespan. The D3 has a built-in

intervalometer; the Canon does not. The D3 has dual card slots; the Canon has a single card slot. And the D3 is far

more ruggedly built than the 5D Mark II.

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I was thinking of the 5D Mark ii and D3"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Apples to oranges (D700 would be a more applicable comparison as Matt noted). The Canon 5DMkII is essentially a prosumer body, although plenty of pros use one, priced and built for the consumer market. The Nikon D3 is a full on professional body, although plenty of well heeled amateurs use one, priced and built for the rugged demands of the much smaller professional market.</p>

<p>And of course, we all know that anything that "costs way more" must be better. ;) :)</p>

<p>PBM H: I don't think it's that easy of a comparison. IMO you'd have to compare with lens and camera body combination you're shooting with.</p>

<p>Also, I'm not certain how useful that comparison is in a beginner group. IMO, people worry too much about the gear without worrying enough about gaining the skills necessary to get the most out of the gear. We're talking about some fairly high end bodies with rather lengthy feature lists.</p>

<p>But then, the only full frame I shoot is film ;)</p>

<p>Just my $0.02.</p>

<p>I chose the 5d Mark II over the D700 for several reasons....I like to make large prints, and prefer the 21 megapixel sensor of the Canon. I shoot mainly static subjects and don't need the superior AF system of the D700. I shoot on a tripod a lot and don't really need high ISO performance, though the 5d2 is quite good and this is a nice feature to have...but the Nikon is supposed to be a bit better in this area. The 5d2 is also considerably lighter than the D700; it weighs about the same as a Nikon D300. This is good for me since I like to take my camera hiking.<br>

I also believe the D700 has a higher frames per second rate the the 5d2. Again, not so important to me....it depends on what you want to shoot.</p>

Thanks, Jonathan & Bj for your response.

@Bj: I'm just merely curious at this point. I know I have a lot to learn being a beginner and this is just one of a million

questions I have about photography/gear. Sorry if I took up any of your time. ;)

I own a D700 and a 5D Mark II. They're both excellent cameras and I could compare them in great detail, but that

level of granularity is not suitable for a beginners' discussion. Nor would I expect a beginner to buy either of these

cameras.

I'll make one simple comparison. I owned the D700 first, and at that time I used it for everything. Since I bought the

5D Mark II, generally (but not always) I use the Nikon for sports, events, and complex flash setups. I use the Canon

for everything else.

I have many examples from both cameras on my website. See if you can tell which galleries were taken with the

Nikon and which were taken with the Canon. If you can't tell the difference, then that's a testament to how good both

cameras are. I wouldn't hesitate to take either one on a big trip or an important assignment.

One more thing. If I were a beginner I wouldn't buy either of these cameras, because the lenses that you need to get

the most out of them are too expensive for someone who is just starting out. Right now as a beginner I would probably

get a Nikon D7000 or a Canon Rebel T2i along with the kit lens that comes with either model.

<blockquote>

<p>The 5DII delivers better image <a href="../casual-conversations-forum/00Xou0?start=10" target="_blank">quality</a> than any Nikon, period.;)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but that's not necessarily true. The resolution is similar to the D3X, but the D3X has better dynamic range. The 5D2 has better resolution than any other Nikon (other then the D3X) but shadow detail is cleaner in a 12 megapixel Nikon file than in a 21 MP Canon file. All of these factors matter with regard to image quality.</p>

<p>That said, despite its minor shortcomings, the output of the 5D Mark II can be jaw-dropping especially when you view the files in DPP. And unlike the D3X, the PRICE isn't jaw-dropping.</p>

<p>:-)</p>

<p> </p>