M4-P: flash fires even when shutter doesn't

sfcole

<p>Is this normal? I mounted a Vivitar 283 in the hot shoe, and it would fire just by depressing the shutter button, even if the film was NOT wound and the shutter didn't fire (it did work normally when the shutter fired, though).<br>

thanks</p>

<p>I don't use usually use flash with my M4-P Leica, Scott, so maybe I'm not the best perason to respond, but it seems that this may be normal. The function of depressing the shutter button on some cameras also links to closing the flash circuit (which fires the flash). You might want to check that the flash fires at the right time when the shutter is actuated, as that is the more critical thing. As long as you are at a speed longer than 1/50, you should not see the shutter cuirtains intruding on your processed negative or slide if it is working well.<br>

If you have bought an m4-P recently, depending upon its known history or apparent shape, it may need a CLA and shutter speed check as well, if you are obliged to send it in for service.</p>

<p>My M4 worked that way - flash fired when shutter button was pressed while it was not cocked. I explained it to myself that the shutter at that point would have fired if the shutter was cocked and it did work indeed withotu much problems.</p>

<p>Some if the Leica whizzes may chime in and prove me wrong.... I guess there is a mechanical button-flash connection that is independent of the shutter mechanism, and maybe an explanation why the sync speed is what it is....</p>

<p>Un-cocked, the release button pre-load design, keeps the circuit <strong>open</strong> and serves basically two purposes:</p>

<ol>

<li>Not to allow the flash to fire as it's being mounted or plugged into the sync socket.</li>

<li>If a flash is plugged into the <strong>sync socket</strong> and you put your thumb etc. on to the <strong>hot shoe</strong>, you won't get the shock of your life.</li>

</ol><div>00XoIS-309005584.JPG.d86329dbdd0da45d713aa485dc27ad9d.JPG</div>