A Classy Classic Canon

<p>Most of the Canon RFs from the 1950s and 1960s are excellent cameras and effective photographic tools if well-maintained and in good operating condition. The P and 7, with larger and brighter viewfinders, may be somewhat easier to use, but they are all good cameras. The older ones with smaller viewfinders may look dated to modern eyes accustomed to digital cameras, but the old Canon RFs can still take excellent pictures.</p>

<p>One of the really nice things about the Canon RFs is the excellent range of Canon LTM lenses they could use. The Canon 50mm f/1.4 and Canon 35mm f/2 LTM lenses had particularly strong reputations, and remain excellent lenses even today. The Canon 50mm f/1.8, 35mm f/1.8, and 85mm f/1.9 lenses LTM also had good reputations, although their image quality may not have been quite as good as the 50mm f/1.4 or the 35mm f/2. Canon also made 50mm f/1.2 and 35mm f/1.5 LTM lenses, which traded off image quality in the interest of achieving the largest possible apertures for available-light shooting, and were more specialized tools rather than everyday shooters. I own and have used the Canon 50mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2, 35mm f/1.8, 35mm f/1.5, and 85mm f/1.9, both on a Canon P body and on a Leica M2 using an adapter, and while all of them are usable, the 50mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/2 are definitely my favorites in terms of image quality.</p>

<p>Enjoy your new camera, and good luck shooting with it. I think you'll enjoy it very much.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Canon rangefinders since finding my first one in a pawn shop about 28 years ago. That one was one of the most common of the earlier series -- a IVsb. Came with a Kyoei Super Acall 135mm f/3.5. I bought a 50/1.9 Serenar for it and used it for years before selling it for no good reason. I also owned a P for a while, and actually liked it a lot. Another camera I wish I would have kept. Currently I own a IIIa, which the original owner had an accessory flash sync added to, and a Serenar 50mm f/1.8. I am very happy with the image quality I'm getting from that Serenar. And the standard PC connector flash sync makes it a much more useful tool than my old IVsb was, since I never owned anything that would interface with its flash rail.</p>

<p>I was fortunate to pick up mine for the price I did. Bought it off the feeBay and was the only bidder because it had been listed by the seller in an oddball category. Otherwise it would have likely gone for quite a bit more. It's getting really hard to find deals on LTM lenses, though. Sure wish the wide angles were more reasonably priced.</p>

<p>The VT is a nice piece, but I've always preferred the traditional film wind crank that the P has over the VT's bottom lever. Although if I fell into a good deal on one, I sure wouldn't pass it up.</p>