Need help cropping and enlarging to 16X20

<p>I'm enlarging a picture to 16X20 (inches) and need some help.</p>

<p>Here are the major details:<br>

Shot with Canon 30D. It is a jpeg image. I have Photoshop Elements 2 for software.</p>

<p>In Elements, I can define the dimensions of the crop tool to crop a 16X20 image out of the "digital negative", but this leaves the resolution at about 150 for the resulting print. It may be ok for viewing, since it is a large image and would probably be viewed from afar, but if I could get some help with workflow to make it print at a higher resolution I think the print would look better.</p>

<p>I'm somewhat familiar with a "stairstep" method of enlarging a photo, where you resize the image down to something small and then add 10 percent in one of the dimensions until you get it blown up to what you want... but the last time I did it was at least five years ago and I've forgotten how to do it.</p>

<p>If I could get some help I would appreciate it greatly. It's a wedding photo I shot for my sister-in-law that she wants as a Christmas gift for her husband.</p>

<p>Jacob, have a look at<a href="00Xoxz"> this thread. </a> The stair step method may be useful for Elements 2 (Some experts argue that for current versions of Photoshop and Elements the incremental approach does not provide any visible benefit.) But it does not involve resizing down first - just start with what you have, add 10% to the dimensions using the the resize dialog with resample image turned on (I hope this option is in Elements 2, it is a long time since I used it) and repeat until you get to the size you want.</p>

<p>I like Ross Angelo's post on this subject in the thread referred to above, in particular:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As for increasing size with interpolation (adding pixels) or without it (by lowering the ppi), in both cases the image won't get any additional details but will affect how it will look from a closer distance. Without interpolation, the large pixel size may be noticeable resulting in pixelation and with interpolation the image will look fuzzier. If closeup viewing experience is important I find a little bit from both is an acceptable compromise.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If it helps:</p>

<p>23.4M original file size. 3504 (length) X 2336 (width).</p>

<p>So... I just noticed that I can type in the desired dpi of the enlargment when using the crop tool. I never knew you could do that... At a desired 300 dpi the file was enlarged to 6000 X 4800 pixels. It took place in one step. I know the stair step method I mentioned earlier is supposed to help a picture look better when enlarged than just doing it all at once, and with a big picture like this, I'd like to make it look the best I can get it.</p>

<p>Just in case I haven't described it clearly enough, I'm needing help cropping and enlarging using a stair step (or equivalent) method so the image will print as a 16X20 with resolution of 250-300 dpi.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>You can always do a 4x6 test print of a cropped section of what would be printed at 16x20. Do one letting the printer uprez and do one done by your software.</p>

<p>I did this with my local Noritsu silver halide print minilab with a 6MP (3000x2000) native resolution image and couldn't tell the difference.</p>

<p>That printer couldn't do 16x20 enlargements, but I did this as an uprez experiment. I'ld suggest you do this with the actual printer doing the enlargement.</p>

<p>I make 6x4 inch crop to test the odd print I want to print large. I usually include some test crops when I order a bunch of 6x4 inch prints that way I don't have to pay postage and packaging for just a few tests. Sometimes I just print the 6x4 inch tests on my inkjet. Once you have made a quite a few tests you get to know what enlarges well and what doesn't.</p>

<p>Just received yesterday 3 16x20s for a client. Shot with my D90 (12mp). I can put them beside the 16x20 shot with my D50 (6mp) and at a distance of 2 feet you would be hard pressed to tell them apart. The D50 shot was enlarged with Elements and the current ones with CS4. The key is to have the exposure and focus correct.<br>

Dwight</p>

<p>I appreciate all the input. I guess for bigger prints it doesn't matter all that much because of the longer viewing distance, unless you want to be overly anal about it and get out a loupe.</p>

<p>Most people looking at the image won't be the sort to know technical details about cameras and taking pictures anyway. As long as they see a nice composition and an interesting subject they'll be happy.</p>