Shooting runners...

marcsharp

<p>Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to shoot runners? My wife and a number of friends run in local events, and I just want to get some good photos. I think I have a pretty good handle on what to do, unless it starts raining. Any tips on how to handle the rain would be great. I plan to shoot with a Canon 7D and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. I have flash units, but I don't plan to use them unless you can convince me otherwise. I might consider having the 5DII with a 24-70mm handy for wider or group shots, but I might just use my G11 for that so I don't have to carry so much. It's usually 7 to 9am during these events. There should be pretty decent light. Compositional tips would be great. Should I go hand held, or throw the camera on some sticks or monopod? What's the lowest shutter speed I can use to freeze the action? If the sun is out, should I try getting my subjects in the sun or in the shade? Let me know what you think. Thanks!</p>

<p>Marc since I see there are no responses yet, I'll throw in my two cents. I can speak from both the amateur photog and runner POV.<br>

1) Your gear sounds right for the task, I do not recommend a flash unless shooting specifically at the start/finish line where the athletes would expect the distraction. You can choose the best lens-to-shot relation once you know the areas you want to shoot from and the shot you want to achieve.<br>

2) Location - if you can, scout the race route and pick your backgrounds & FOV. Also think about finding an area further on in the race where the runners would have had time to spread out - makes it easy for some nice individual shots. Start/finish line will be very crowded depending on the event size so you can get some really interesting perspectives.<br>

3) Rain - I have used a cheap plastic rain sleeve before with so-so results, just a pain IMO. If you're going to be braving the elements on a regular basis you may want to look for a higher end cover. Someone else will need to answer this for you.<br>

4) What I did before shooting my first auto race was to look at some magazines and websites for how the pro's shoot and try some of the similar compositions/ideas. Maybe you can find a look that really appeals to you. Runners World is one I look at frequently and has nice images.</p>

<p>Most of all, have fun. Good luck (and share a few once you're all done)</p>

<p>Good tips. I like the idea of letting the runners spread out a bit. I've noticed before that it is hard to get a shot of individuals when they are closely packed together. I have plenty of opportunities to visit the route at the same time of day to get an idea of the light and scenery. I hope it doesn't rain.</p>

<p>I use 1/500 or faster to freeze runners. About 1/25 when panning. For individual runners, my biggest surprise was how many shots had awkward leg positions. About 3/4 of the shots are unusable because the runner looks stupid. So, shoot a LOT. I used a monopod with my heavy lens, not for stability, but so I didn't have to hold it for long periods. For panning shots, I hand held.</p>

<p>Very Cool Shot Matthew, and judging by the shadows, it was taken near high noon in harsh sunlight. Very well exposed. Great athlete too...<br>

Yes, I have taken some shots before where the runner's legs look like they have skin flopping around. Not pretty.</p>

<p>Bunch of good tips. I have a rain sleeve but can't remember what brand it is. it cost...maybe around $40. Still awkward but keeps the gear dry.<br>

My initial thought about composition was to look at runner's magazine. Which was mentioned above. they're the pro's. Look at what they have taken and analyze!<br>

Every sport is somehwat different & takes practice to know what, when & how to shoot.<br>

If the race is a repeat of some sections and not one route for entire race, perhaps get ride in the pace vehicle to shoot the leaders at some point in the race. ride a bike to more along the course. A 300mm lens would be great to get those long, compressed shots with short DOF.</p>