Rare lens???

jim_peterson2

<p>I found a Mamiya-Sekor C 45mm f/2.8 lens today in the junk bin for something like $60. It is rather dusty and the focus ring feels a bit stiff but other than that it seems ok... no mold! which was my biggest worry since I didn't have a good flashlight with me when I was at the store.<br>

Anyway, the unusual thing about this lens is that on the front ring right between where it says "Mamiya-Sekor C" and "1:2.8 f=45mm" there is the word "SAMPLE" in red print. Also, the serial number shown on the same ring is No.10009<br>

Is this some sort of first production run lens that was made to be used as a sample? Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?</p>

<p>Even though you have every intention of keeping it for now.. etc., to follow up on Bueh B's comment, it may be true of the market in the USA, but Japan is where you are likely to get the best price as a collectors' piece if ever you had another lens to do the same job, or better. Just as there a great many more people in Europe with awareness for marques such as Linhof.<br>

Japan or even China, where the middle class is expanding like wildfire, and the rich are getting richer. You may even find a Middle Eastern interest for it. So look after it and see how well it cleans up, then save some of the best results from it to show off what it can do. You may not "make a killing", but it could well pay for a replacement as well as an additional lens.</p>

<p>The lens you've found at Vistek is the later "N" version. Mine is the pre-N version. The focus ring is visibly different. But either way, I am fully aware that the 45/2.8 is not a rare lens. It is the fact that this one is branded "SAMPLE" and has a very low serial number that has me wondering.</p>

<p>Mamiya serial numbers aren't an indication of date nor runs, they are more like random numbers that have no bearing on when or where they were made as you see in other brands of cameras. Mamiya was very careless with that.<br>

I've never run accross any "Sample" models but my guess, "Sample" may be a demo shelf model, again not an indication of anything other than a "Not for sale" item possably. You may be thinking it's a prototype, I doubt that.<br>

Perhaps someone else may have a more difinative answer?</p>

The more you say, the less people listen.

<p>I once owned a Mamiya 645 24mm fish with S/N 0000001<br>

I am certain it was special production run as it also had markings different from newer units I have seen (I've had three over the years).<br>

Anyway- special as it was, it did not net me any more $$ than average for 645 fisheyes.</p>

<p>Jim, you didn't say if this is the early 77mm filter size lens, or the "S" version. IME the large-fronted early version is optically no-so-good compared to the S and N versions, no matter what's stamped onto the front!</p>

<p>If it's the early lens that you have, which I must admit looks quite impressive, then my advice would be to sell it to a gullible collector and buy the newer and smaller version to actually use.</p>

<p>Most folks are looking for good glass cheap, and plenty of it exists on the bay to keep those costs down. The N versions command higher prices. I would think that a collector would fuss more over perfection, finding desire in a pristine, boxed model with papers, etc. However, if it's a well used and abused sample, then it would matter as to whom used it, somebody that is recognized and and can make a connection to add value.</p>

<p>I think the more important issue is does it add value to your shooting? Never know until you try. That's half the fun. :)</p>