Shooting in very low light and no tripod guidance...

photojen

<p>It seems that all of your options have already been given here. I'll just add that if you REALLY have to shoot in these conditions, then you might try focusing on several different subjects in multiple shots from the same position so that you might have a chance of compositing them together later in Photoshop. Also, try using the motion blur to your advantage when composing your shots.</p>

<p>Jennifer, I believe you received a lot of good advices in this thread. Good luck with you photo shoot.</p>

<p>I also feel that you have some obligation to post some results on this thread after the photo shoot. It would be nice if you could post 2 or 3 of your best shots here so that we have an idea how it all turns out. In fact, if you don't mind, 1 or 2 problematic images showing the limitations of the condition and equipment can also be educational as well. Of course, all of this is strictly voluntary. If somehow you are not allowed to post those images, I sure don't want you to break any rules.</p>

Instead of a tripod, there is a device composed of a strap with a loop at one end and about 6 feet ong depending on your

height. Place the loop around your hand(or use a male tripod screw that you can attach the strap too and mount on base

of camera) then simply place your foot on the other end of stap at the height you need, pull up on stap as you take the

picture, acts as a monopod. Roll it up and put in pocket when finished.

<p>Well, gents, I called Kripalu and spoke with the event coordinator's assistant for the day and I can not use a flash for the show, but I can, as Kent suggested, use one during rehearsal. I did some practicing at home, don't laugh, but I closed our drapes in our family room and had the kids jump around and I practiced photoing them in low light, with different lenses and settings. So I shall go forth, with some solid advice from you all, and shoot away. Shun, I will post some photos, if not tonight, tomorrow some time. I have permissions from the band to use the photos in anyway I want. I can't, however, photo the guests unless they request it. I appreciate all your help and guidance, really, I do!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>but I closed our drapes in our family room and had the kids jump around and I practiced photoing them in low light</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Now, those are the images I'd like to see. :-)</p>

<p>I have never shot this dancing stuff, but for weddings, I very much like to attend the rehearsals because that helps me get an idea what will happen. That helps me prepare in advance and enticipate things when I shoot for real.</p>

<p>Please make sure you have planty of batteries and memory card space so that you won't use those up during the rehearsal.</p>

<p>All charged and formatted and ready to go! I have 3 16GB CF cards and 6 camera batteries and 12 batteries for my flash...just waiting for my sister to show up to watch the kids. If I get there before 4pm, I can do a sauna before a 5:30 meal ;)</p>

<p><em>Axe? Not sure what you mean...</em></p>

<p>axe (a-shay) means "life energy" in Afro-Caribbean, specifically Brazilian, culture among Yoruba/orisha-worshipping peoples. It's believed to have originated in Africa. African dance is connected to yoruban ritual-myth in which axe is released/created.</p>

<p>in other words, it's basically the equivalent of saying "good Luck!" or "May God be With You"</p>

<p>hope that clears things up :)</p>

<p>So the lighting and band set up was way worse than I had hoped for. Here's a photo of the band's 'area'. Four overhead recessed lights, and that was it (some side gelled lights, but they offered no help). The band opted to have the show in a yoga and dance room, where the guest could move to their beat, not good for me. They sounded amazing, but the lighting was horrific, a photog's nightmare (at least for me). I tried. Once I get to look through the photos, I will post some, but here is the shot of just the band's area. I couldn't even shoot the dancers because they were in front of the drums in hardly any light (as you can see)~ perfect ambiance for a yoga retreat, but not so perfect for someone trying to photograph the group.</p><div>00XnuR-308773584.jpg.456e47ec6f0682e3ecb088f2107a087b.jpg</div>

<p>Here's one...the lead drummer, Aimee. She's amazing, she's a beautiful person. Any who...if the ladies were directly under the recessed lighting the photos came out, with a LOT of noise reduction so the skin looks soft. Not thrilled at all with the group photos. They are playing at a different venue right before the holidays so I will photo them again.</p><div>00XoDj-308967584.jpg.7e1a41890b1e474e316dea1243faa477.jpg</div>

<p>Here's Shanti...so energetic, so beautiful and I feel I wasn't able to capture her energy with the lighting situation. Again, under the lights, super noisy, had to do a lot of NR on this too. The shadows are killing me...under their eyes.</p><div>00XoDq-308969584.thumb.jpg.fc7d73e1a32d7fa212437841289659ad.jpg</div>

<p>Shun, there is so much noise in the images where the ladies were not in light, my ISO was at HI 1 or 2 for most of the night...it almost made me cry (don't laugh) when I looked at the photos at first, but I was so very disappointed about the even worse lighting conditions I had to deal with that after I uploaded the photos, I turned off my computer, instead of jumping right in and doing some tweaking. I have a bunch of gems though, not as many as I had hoped for. No really good group shots, none of the dancers, because as you see in the set up photo, there was zero light in front of the drums, where they were dancing. I thank you all for your guidance.</p>