concerned about dwindling availability of new negative scanners

<p><a href="http://filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm7600i.html">http://filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm7600i.html</a><br>

Nuno,<br>

I think that the review at the link above says that the Plustek's claim of scanning at 7200 dpi is incorrect. It's more like 3,200 dpi, or something like that. I think there may also be a review of one of the Reflecta scanners.<br>

Have a look.<br>

Martin</p>

<p>Mr Saldanha's post contains one or two misconceptions. The Nikon's 16 bit is 16 bits per channel of which there are 3, so equivalent to the 48 bits overall that some other scanners indicate. Scanner manufacturers- or at least some of them,- including Epson - appear to be keen on big numbers , and claim resolution numbers that they don't deliver in real life. There's a lot of stuff on Photo.net on this issue. It is very tempting to believe that you've come across a scanner that delivers more than the Nikons for less money, but the sad reality is that you almost certainly haven't. </p>

<p>The real defence for film users is to realise two things. The first is that they don't need the capabilities of the Nikons, or better, for every scan , and that something like an Epson V700 despite not delivering its supposed resolution is good enough for most scans made by most people for most purposes. The second is that you can have high res scans on Nikons and Imacons made without owning the scanner,.</p>

<p>Your final point about having to replace digital cameras puzzles me. Are digital cameras less reliable than film cameras then? Or is it the case that at least you have the possibility, though not any compulsion, to upgrade digital cameras whereas new film cameras are something of a rarity. If your assessment of total cost of film vs digital contains an assumption that digital users need to replace their cameras every couple of years but film users don't, then you might want to consider how appropriate that is . </p>

<p>Martin,<br />Thanks a lot. In fact that site has a review of the Reflecta Scanner, wich makes a very positive impression about it. It really might be my option.<br />Mr Henderson, trying to defend Nikon Scanners "honor", wich is absolutely not the point of this discussion, since it's about the "availability of new negative scanners", not about how good old or discontinued scanners were. My idea was in fact to give some possible alternatives offered by today's market. And in terms of reliability between film and digital cameras, i'm not going to discuss that here, since it's not the issue of this post. Anyway, nevertheless how reliable a digital camera might be, 70% of digital cameras are consumption products for the big public, wich soon become outdated. (how many people still using those 1 or 3 Megapixel cameras?) It's not a matter of needing, but obviously you wont be able to find people using the same digital cameras for 20 or even 10 years, wich you can for sure with a film camera.</p>

<p>I guess it's fine for some folks here to speculate at length about Nikon's history, culture, etc,. etc, etc. However, if you're going to somehow use that to avoid contacting them as I've stated that I was directly told by a very knowledgeable individual, I can only speculate about your<em> true motivations</em>. Seems <em>very odd</em> that some people are going on and on about this sort of thing, and not taking action, or at least talking about <em>that</em>...</p>

<p>Hi Martin, I certainly didn't mean to direct my comment at you personally. In re-reading everything, this has been a fairly interesting topic. But I do believe that it's definitely worth the effort to contact them, and a comment such as the one I've pasted in, is what I don't understand, and most definitely do not agree with:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"...Having worked for Hitachi all over the world in my past life, I agree with David H.<br />Its no use contacting Nikon USA or Nikon EU..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Of course the simple answer to this is, why not try? <em>It costs nothing but a few minutes of one's time</em>. Beyond that, I don't buy the negative mindset of "it's futile.." for all sorts of reasons. And the person that I talked with did not give me that impression.</p>

<p>I find shooting film to scan on a quality scanner, and then making simple adjustments in an image editing program to be a <em>quite viable</em> process for many, many reasons, and hate to lose it for the future.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote></blockquote>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I received a used Pentax 645 Medium format camera for Christmas :) I'm really looking forward to using it and I am also interested in the possibility of film scanning.<br>

I Just wanted to let you know by doing a web search I found a site called <strong>scandig.com</strong> The company offers various scanning services and also sells scanners and scanner accessories as well.<br>

Late at night here so I will have a real look at the sights contents tomorrow. In an case if you want the scanner sales page is:<br>

<em>http://www.scandig.com/filmscanner/</em></p>

<p>bob church<br>

I look forward to comments.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Possibly good news on the availability of new scanners: There's an announcement on Reflecta's website of a new medium format scanner that will be available in June 2011.<br>

<a href="https://reflecta-shop.de/en/">https://reflecta-shop.de/en/</a><br>

I don't know anything about the company, however, or the availability of their products.<br>

Martin</p>