Signature for exhibition prints

riz

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>For the prints for exhibition do I need to have my signature? If so then what it could be. For instance</p>

<ul>

<li><strong>Copyright MYNAME</strong></li>

<li><strong>Copyright MYNAME YEAR (Range of years or just current year?)</strong></li>

<li><strong>MYNAME</strong></li>

<li><strong>MY NAME YEAR (Range of years or just current year?)</strong></li>

<li></li>

<li><strong>Or something else?</strong></li>

</ul>

<p>Looking forward,</p>

<p>Thanking you in anticipation.</p>

<p>Regards,</p>

<p>Rizwan</p>

<p>A signature and a copyright notice are totally different things. Don't try to confuse the issue by combining them.</p>

<p>A copyright notice must contain either the word 'copyright' or the copyright symbol, your name, and the date. It can (and should) go on the back of the print. Actually, a photograph in an exhibition probably doesn't need a copyright notice since its not really possible for someone to make a copy. Note that there is nothing illegal or immoral about someone being inspired by one of your images, and later making a similar image. That kind of copying is perfectly legal. What is illegal is for someone to copy your image exactly.</p>

<p>You signature can be whatever you want it to be. Typically, signatures include the maker's name, the date of the image, and if appropriate, editioning information. But some photographers use only initials, and in China, the tradition is to use a chop.</p>

<p>I totally dissagree with the above. I find it extremely aggravating to look at any piece of Art and not be able to tell who made it. That includes photographs. I sign my name in the lower right hand corner, just out of the image area, with copyright symbol and date. I print small and the signature is not a distraction.</p>

<p>Your copyright lasts for much longer than 2 years (most places in the world). It starts the instant you record the image. Personally, I note the copyright on the information tag that goes with the picture. When I sell a print I ask the customer if they want a visible signature or if I should put it on the back...</p>