upgrading from D200: D300s or D7000?

jen_miz

<p>Jen, I also had a d200 and was trying to decide between the d300s and d7000. I had really reached the point where I felt like I needed to upgrade and didn't want to wait months. I eventually decided on the d300s a few weeks ago. I did that based on my criteria of best AF and ergonomics and a good price on the d300s. At the time there were no d7000's to buy or even look at and no substantial reviews. I am not sure if I made the right decision and I might have gone the other way now with the information that is available now. I am pretty sure I would have got used to how it felt being a smaller camera and it's size might even be a benefit. It might sound dumb but the scene mode dial on d7000 and SD cards puts me right off. I would love to be able to have them both like Shun so I could give them both a prolonged workout. That would be the only way I would really know which was better for me. In the end it was a headache I wanted resolved. Next stop d400...maybe.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>On the D7000, the AF-ON capability can be programmed to the AE-L/AF-L button and/or the depth of field preview button (whose location is weird and I have accidentally touch it a number of times).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>On my D200, I'm used to pressing the AF-ON button with my thumb while keeping my index finger on the shutter release. Will have to try the D7000 to see if I can do the same with the AE-L/AF-L button.</p>

<p>Here is a side by side view of the D7000 and D300, which is almost identical to the D300S. The D300S has a dedicated live view button as all Nikon DSLRs that have video feature do. The D200 is also similar to the D300. (I actually have a D200 also, but I don't bother to take another picture of the cameras.)</p>

<p>It should be obvious that the D300 is much wider; notice that the top LCD is a lot bigger. The D300 is also a bit taller. On the D300, the AE-L/AF-L button and the AF-ON button are next to each other. On the D7000, there is only room for one, so Nikon labels it AF-L/AF-L but it can be programmed to AF-ON; however, obviously you cannot have both capabilities simultaneously.</p>

<p>On the D7000, the ISO button is to the left of the back LCD in the middle of the column, while on the D300 it is on top, to the left of the hot shoe. The D7000 has a dial on the top, left area and you control the M, A, S, P exposure modes from there. Those controls on the D7000 are very different from the D200, D300/D300S, and D700 cameras.</p>

<P>

One thing I cannot tell you is that whether you prefer a larger camera or a smaller one. In case you have a strong preference on that (either way, large or small), it could be decisive.

</P><div>00Xn7x-308145584.jpg.a3a15c2a52a5fe824f55a2608b6c0f31.jpg</div>

<p>I was in the same situation with a D200 I've had for a while and wanted to get a better high ISO performing camera. Just bought a D7000- seems fine but haven't had the chance to put it through it's paces. I have configured the camera however, and wanted to go through some of the functional issues:<br>

1. AF-On can be moved to the AE-L/AF-L button to the right of the viewfinder which operates identically to how I use my D200. I don't have any more problems hitting this button on the D7000 than I did on the D200<br>

2. There is a function button next to the lens on the right- I have this configured for AE-L. <br>

3. The DOF Preview button is about where my pinky is on the right below the lens. I left this as DOF preview<br>

All of these buttons seem to be able to be reconfigured quite extensively. I like how it handles so far. The camera seems quite solid and remarkably light.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree with John Tran, not in term of regrets, but in term that the D300s is a better camera. If it's aint better how come it cost more? Nikon is not stupid and they know about their cameras well.<br>

But if I were the OP I simply keep the D200, I see nothing to gain there. I know I would be hearing about a lot of numbers but then I wouldn't care less.</p>