Going to Hawaii and thinking of upgrading from 40D to 7D? Some Questions.

sanjay_chugh1

<p>Hello everyone, I've been very content with my 40D ever since I got it just a couple of months after it came out (upgraded from the 20D)<br>

So I've had it for about 3 years and haven't really thought about a new body (leaving money to spend on my other hobby: Audio)<br>

Anyway, we are going to Hawaii in December and I have started to get the itch to maybe finally upgrade the 40D.<br>

I am mostly interested in being able to shoot bits of Video when required or in the mood.<br>

I've decided to go for the 7D because I enjoy taking pictures more then video (which is why I still have my 13 years old Sony MiniDV camcorder) and I think it would be better then the 60D in that regard for me. Plus I have several Sandisk Extreme III Cards I bought when we went to India last year. Replacing them if I were to get the 60D brings the price pretty close to the 7D.<br>

Anyway enough rambling, I guess one thing gnawing on me is that the 7D has been out for more then a year I think and there is probably an upgrade in the works sometime soon? Who knows, but I wonder if my timing is good. I guess you never know. But what do you think?<br>

One specfic question I have and I can't seem to find the spec is how much space is used when shooting video at full HD and say 24 fps. i.e. how much minutes/seconds can I shoot per GB say?<br>

I already have 3 nice lenses (17-55 EF-S, 10-22 EF-S and the nicer 700-300 telephoto) and the 590EXII Flash. So I am not worried about that end.<br>

Should I pull the trigger? I figure if the 40D has kept me happy for 3 years the 7D should do for at least 5 years.<br>

Would appreciate any comments.<br>

Thanks,<br>

-- Sanjay</p>

<p><em> I think and there is probably an upgrade in the works sometime soon? Who knows, but I wonder if my timing is good. I guess you never know. But what do you think?</em><br>

<em> </em><br /> No one really knows except for Canon execs and others under nondisclousure contracts. The 7D is barely 12 mos. old. Get it! It's a groundbreaking EOS body, no doubt. Maybe in another year Canon will have a 7D MkII? Who knows really...<br /> <br /><em>One specfic question I have and I can't seem to find the spec is how much space is used when shooting video at full HD and say 24 fps. i.e. how much minutes/seconds can I shoot per GB say</em>?</p>

<p>A lot. 360MB per minute or so. I shot Joan Jett in full HD with the 7D and 62 secs. of one video is a 360MB! 3 minutes at most per GB.</p>

<p>You want the 7D so get it!</p>

"Plus I have several Sandisk Extreme III Cards I bought when we went to India last year. Replacing them if I were to get the 60D brings the price pretty close to the 7D."

<p>I don't understand this statement at all. What do you mean by this, Sanjay?

<P>In answer to your query, I would seriously consider the 60D. You seem to specifically want video so I think the 60D's articulated screen would be very useful in that regard. Also, the sensor on the 60D shares the DNA of the 7D's as far as I know. In other words, it's pretty darn good :)

<p>Sanjay,</p>

<p>Upgrading to the 7D would be a wise move. You want to shoot both stills and video... it's an excellent camera. It can shoot in low light conditions. I used the 7D as my primary camera when shooting Bealle Street in Memphis at night... the results were fantastic.</p>

<p>Good luck in your trip to Hawaii.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>""Plus I have several Sandisk Extreme III Cards I bought when we went to India last year. Replacing them if I were to get the 60D brings the price pretty close to the 7D."<br>

I don't understand this statement at all. What do you mean by this, Sanjay?"<br>

Hi Mark,<br>

The 60D doesn't use CF cards so I would have to get new SDHC cards for it. I already have a few CF cards which even at today's Canadian prices come to almost $400.<br>

Looks like getting the same total capacity for SDHC cards would be pretty close to that $400 (assuming I stay with Sandisk Extrem III brand)<br>

Thr 60D costs $1000 in Canada right now and I can get the 7D for a wee bit over $1500.<br>

I thought it made more sense to save the money on the memory cards and get the 7D.</p>

Ah, ok Sanjay. Looks like you are heavily invested in CF cards so I can now understand your reasoning. I think the 7D would work well for you in that case. CF cards aren't like lenses which one can sell for a good price ;-)

<p>If available, a refurbished 7D could also be an option if you're looking to save a few more $$$s and perhaps put it towards more glass, spare batteries etc. Shooting video does take its toll even on the excellent LP-E6 battery. My 5D2 was a factory refurb. Worked very well for me - no issues whatsoever. Factory refurbs have the benefit of getting individual TLC from the Canon Tech. I don't think the same can be said of every new unit. Mine also came with warranty, for added comfort.

<p>I have a 40D and a 7D and like both cameras. A friend & I bought refurbished 7Ds about 7 months ago from Adorama ($1,400)and have had zero problems with them. I've used the 7D extensively & recently used the video to do a friends wedding. The only, and I mean "only", down side to the 7D is the way it focuses when you do videos. Very slow to focus which means the only way to get nice shots is to be able to first pre-focus where you plan on shooting before you shoot. This only matters if you trying to do fast action shots and you don't have time to pre-focus. If video is really important to you I'd wait for the next generation of the EOS line that comes with better auto focusing, like the new Nikons have recently released.<br>

As far as 40D versus 7D and pictures go, I'd have to say the major differences that I've noticed is the light sensitivity is better with the 7D and of course the 8 FPS is nice for moving objects. Down side to larger picture size with the 7D is the RAW shots can't be sent through some email services. For example, my Verizon service only allows 20gig max files and I can't send the 7D RAWs.<br>

I like the 7D and I'm happy with the purchase. It will take me a year or so before I learn all the things this camera can do. Its more complex than the 40D. For Hawaii...........do it. Very nice camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>"I agree with others who suggested the 60D. I own a 7D and I'm not overly impressed. I use my 5D more often. Unless you need the high burst rate of the 7D, the 60D may be a better value. Put the money saved toward some L glass." </em><br>

I already have 4 very nice lenses and L glass is not a priority. The only thing I like about the 60D is the articulated screen and am trying to decide how much video I am going to shoot. I do enjoy taking pictures more than video but now having both capabilities in a single camera, I can just see myself in a situations trying to decide "video or stills?" such as my kids blowing out candles on a birthday cake! :) Maybe I won't sell my 40D and use that as a second body.<br>

And then as I mentioned there is the problem of the memory cards if I get the 60D.<br>

I will probably end up getting the 7D this week or next, and have been reading up on it and the 60D as well. Just want to make sure I make the right decision as it will be my camera for most likely the next 5 years.</p>

<p>-- Sanjay</p>

<p>Just a caution. Although there's not so terribly much difference here as there would be in switching lines altogether or some such, you really don't want to go on an important trip with equipment you haven't worked with. Either take the 40D or get a 7D early enough so you can try it all out before you go. Take the manual along too. ;)</p>

<p>Thanks JDM, that's probably good advice.<br>

Though now I am also qetting very confused about video with digital SLRs.<br>

I've seen lots of wonderful videos shot with the 7D but I am not sure about some things.<br>

I understand video with a digital SLR is very different then the Camcorders I've been using for 15 years, and I can learn on that front (i.e. manual mode, manual focus etc).<br>

My main problem is it seems a you really either need a rig (not cheap for the good ones) or a tripod etc. Mainly what I want to do for example on vacations is to have the ability to shoot 10-30 second clips if I see something interesting or some short clips of the family say swimming at the beach or dancing at a luau(?). I want to do this quickly so to be able to switch between still and movie mode quickly. I don't want to have be bothered about have to pull out a tripod or something anytime I want to take video. Off course at events say such as a birthday party or my daughter's dance recitals etc I would probably take a tripod (rig if I get one, monopod if they work for video)<br>

I have googled for handheld video and there is a lot of confusing and inconsitent information and I am not sure how this is going to work for me.<br>

If anyone is using video on DSLR for this kind of purpose I sure would like to hear of your experiences.<br>

-- Sanjay</p>

<p>Well, shooting video is really different. And, I'm no expert. Go to www.cinema5d.com or vimeo for info. Tripod is the best, any 'rig' will take skill to use. Practice a lot with whatever you get, I actually have had some success with the cheap$20 shoulder supports (I found one that looks like a stock for a rifle, at b&H maybe?). And, IS lenses really help a lot. For exposure, your shutter speed will pretty much be fixed to minimize flicker. Choose a f-stop that will get you the most DOF, and use ISO speed to control exposure Pre focus and use DOF as a tool, the auto focus does not work. Focusing manually during video takes a lot of skill, for example on movies and TV shows they will have a person who's only job is to focus. Also, pan slowly, fast movements will give a jello effect.</p>

<p>Sounds terrible? Not really, you will get some great video, just practice some. Practice is better than buying really expensive support equipment at this point for you. </p>

<p>The7D is capable of taking breath taking video, so get it and have fun with it!</p>

<p>Thanks Matt. I understand shooting video is really different (especially coming from Camcorder land) and I am willing to learn that. But my main concern is, if I am just walking around and I want to shoot a 20-30 second clip can I do that and get decent results without pulling out a tripod or a shoulder rig. Video will definitely be secondary and lower priority but it will be a part of what I want to do when I am walking around. Unfortunatley currently no one else in my family wants to help take videos with a camcorder. I took 15 MiniDV tapes with us to India last year on a 5 week vacation and we barely filled 2 of them! So it's up to me to get the pictures and bits of video and being able to do that from one camera is enticing. But I don't want to end it up being where when I want to take a video for 20 seconds, I have to go and take out my tripod. I may also want to hand it off to my wife and she is certainly not going to work that way<br>

-- Sanjay</p>

<p>Well, I've been doing a lot of reading and digesting information, and although I haven't tried the 7D hands on yet, I am coming to the conclusion it's not really going to replace my Camcorder for video.<br>

I could get used to the manual focus and even with my camcorder I try to use good practices so only very slow panning and no sudden zooms etc. But it seems to me video with the SLR is going to require too much thinking upfront and almost everyone says you have to use a tripod or a rig. It's just not going to be the open it up and start shooting for video like a consumer camcorder.<br>

I may still get the 7D, but I just wanted to understand and get things in perspective for video so I don't have any wrong expectations, and it seems they are just not a replacement for point it and forget it video shooting like a Camcorder. And that's what I am where video is concerned.</p>

<p>-- Sanjay</p>

<p>I own 7D. 7D video requires handsome amount of time at least when its new to the user. Also without having LCD attachment, it becomes difficult sometime to make out whether things are in good focus, the way we thought or not. Initially it used to happen with me that I come to know about out of focus video only when I see on computer.<br>

7D is great tool, but it requires great learning also. As you already read elsewhere that its not point it and forget it video shooting.</p>

<p>$500 in SD cards?<br>

<br />How much memory are you carrying around? I generally catch cards on sale, and buy 4GB CF cards for under $30. . .If you have that much in memory cards; strongly consider using laptops and external hard drives for storage. When I travel, I download nightly to a laptop AND a computer that are stored in seperate bags.<br>

Nothing would freak me out more than misplacing a full 16gb memory card.</p>