Skin smoothing in PS

<p>However, always remember:<br>

Just like makeup, which after all serves much the same function, <em>if you can tell it's been done, it's been done too much.</em></p>

<p>I am always horrified by the ads for add-ins etc to do this sort of thing -- the examples they show to sell their product normally have the pimples (before) looking better than, as Patrick says, a plastic face (after).</p>

<p>there are plenty of techniques in PS; from the simple healing brush for spots to whole areas; weather you use inverse highpass, inverse overlay to flatten the image a bit or some kind of blur push red,...., don't forget to add some detail in the end;<br>

usually i do this by adding noise and restrict it to some luminance range ( can be done in fx sliders / at the bottom of the window ) so I get different amount and scale of texttures regarding the angle and the model which looks more plastic in the end.<br>

to add noise don't just add noise but add a certain amount ( depends on the resolution you are working ) and then apply a gaussant blur, so the "grain" will fuse and give a more natural texture ( you can scale it anyway )<br>

a good but rather sophisticated way is to calculate some masks for the areas you'd like to work on by image>calculation and choosing the appropriate blending modes and settings;<br>

you see there are so many techniques, often a plugin is better for beginners but you won't have full control and you better don't zoom in that plugin results;<br>

for portraits only, search for an app called por**prof***ionalstud** ( i'm not sure if it is allowed to give such recommendations here, you'll find it ) I got a copy to try and was amazed by its functions and output without any PS at all and a very fair price;<br>

regards</p>

<p>There are various.<br>

But it all begins with a good make up artist to cover up blemishes and the dreaded pores in the skin that apparently no one likes to see *shock horror*.<br>

But in truth that is literally how it works. 95% of magazine shoots will start with a make up artist, then the rest of it shall be completed in camera using available light sources and then finally actions in PS. Usually all you have to do in PS afterwards is use the healing tool, clone brush etc.<br>

If you want it to look natural with smooth skin, it can take a few hours (white balance/colour balance, a fine tooth comb run over of the skin using curves, healing tools etc) Everyone has their own way of smoothing and usually not alot of people will tell you what it is and that is why you will never find video tutorials online on how to acheive that look in PS. Sad but true. It's like it is a trade secret, but its quite simple in the end :-(</p>

There’s no real secret for skin retouching other than zooming in at 100%-200% and using a small soft brush like

21px/0 hardness or so and switch between the stamp tool and the healing brush to get rid of the small imperfections.

... but people like to see video with a 1 button trick that do it all in seconds...thats why you wont find me doing you

tube video showing you how to retouch skin... too long to explain, and not much to show other than a stamp tool that

move all over a a face : )

even with the best make up artist, the best photographer, and the best looking model... i always have to retouch the

skin from minutes to hours depending of the final use, the size, and if you see a face or a full body, from afar or close

up.

<blockquote>

<p>Usually all you have to do in PS afterwards is use the healing tool, clone brush etc.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>do you really believe this ? ever watched a beauty retouch; it'S not only the texture one has to care about; its symmetry, soft shadows even reclaimed wrinkles the make up artist filled to get a more natural look;<br>

even a normal behind the scenes video tutorial will show you how eyes are copied, transformed and pasted to get a perfect look, give the shot more depth by dodging and burning,....<br>

the makeup is a good start, good light light is not a factor to be mentioned when you pay for a hair stylist and makeup artist, the rest happens in post;</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the rest of it shall be completed in camera</p>

</blockquote>

<p>i'd like to see your cam to switch eye color or get some more peak lights in there if your client wants to.</p>

<p>Hi Nikolai,</p>

<p>Please do not get angry. I am simply saying there are various factors to consider. Of course your camera accounts for retouching. Mr Marks, was asking about skin smoothing not eye colour changes. You can indeed smooth skin in camera by catching the light as it comes down. Not all the time, but it depends on the available light source.</p>

<p>Just peeked your photos, they look amazing Nikolai. How long have you been shooting/retouching? I really like the woodland shot. Where was that?<br>

Patrick: I want to take a course with you! lol</p>