7D Jerky Video

jerry_plemons1

<p>As noted in a few other notes, the video from the 7D can be jerky using Quicktime. I downloaded the VLC media player 0.9.2 Grishenko and tried to follow the steps detailed by Bob Atkins in his review:</p>

<ol>

<li>Open Tools, go to Preferences </li>

<li>Click Show settings = “All” </li>

<li>Go to “Input/Codecs </li>

<li>Go to “Other codecs/ FFmpeg” subcategory </li>

<li>Set “Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding” to “ALL” </li>

<li>Restart the program </li>

</ol>

<p>My problem is that aftyer step 3, there is no "Other codecs/FFmpeg" subcategory listed. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?<br>

Thanks, Jerry</p>

<p>Apparently, I'm not using the same one. I'm running Vista and I don't see anyplace to address the Other Codecs/FFmpeg issue. I also don't see anywhere else in the menu structure to set "Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding" to ALL. I downloaded the latest version of VLC and still cannot find a place to set it up like Atkins and others recommend.<br>

Jerry</p>

<p>Can you let us know what processor / speed you have in your computer?</p>

<p>What Video card are you using?</p>

<p>I've found that trying to play HD video files coming from the camera can be jerky unless you have a very good Video card and fast CPU. </p>

<p>Also did you copy the file to the local hard drive or are you trying to play it from the memory card?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I copied the file to my Laptop computer's hard drive, an HP Pavilion dv9000, dual Core 1.65 Ghz. It has an GeoForce Go 7600 video card, NVIDIA control panel.<br>

What I discovered that after setting the VLC software properly, the video played pretty smoothly; however, it is a bit much for the limited processing speed and memory of my laptop. I have Dell Vostro desktop that plays the video very smoothly. So the laptop will do in a pinch, but the desktop makes it works really well.<br>

If I use an HDMI cord directly from the camera to my Panasonic Plasma HD TV with extra HDMI imputs, will the video look ok?<br>

Thanks, Jerry</p>