300mm IS with EF 2x Extender - Sharp Handheld?

philgeusebroek

Depends on your definition of "sharp." I would not rate the performance of this lens (or most others) with the EF 2x extender as "sharp" until it was stopped down by at least a stop, preferably two. Even the best IS technology won't help much if you are forced to shoot everything at f/11 or f/16. I don't find the 2x all that useful on anything except a 300 2.8... and even then only with the best technique.

I think it can be handheld. Is can be difficult to work with and requires some practice because of the nature of the IS. For my type of work I find it best to keep the shutter halfway depressed all the time since to avoid blur caused by the is group moving from it's lockdown position into proper working mode(this usually takes a second or so). I normally use a monopod with this combo with the head and collar loose as this just makes it a bit easier to keep the camera targeted for long periods of time. The shot I've posted was taken handheld with mode 2 IS using the new 2xII TC. The first image is the full frame the second shows detail at 100% when scanned it at 2900 dpi. Neither one have had any unsharp mask applied. However I do find that unsharp mask seems to work very well on images I've taken with the 300 f/4 + 2x TC. Perhaps this is because the nature of any unsharpness using this combo is right up unsharp mask's alley.